Whats a good IEM for Metal?
Jul 4, 2007 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Sonata Arctica

New Head-Fier
Hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 33
Oh man I don't know. I really don't enjoy metal on my Ety er6i. Cross that one off the list at least. Good luck. Metal is a sound that in my opinion is difficult to optimize with small drivers in those little IEMs.

Everyone here lately has been recommending Atrio M5s though for good "big-headphone-like sound" in an affordably priced IEM, you might want to look into that one.

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 33
the ety er-4p, i listen to amon amarth, exodus, slayer, megadeth, kreator, suffocation, cannibal corpse, pig destroyer, kalmah, and many other metal bands, and these sound great with it to me. But i am not a basshead

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 33
How much do you have to spend? Im sure UM3s would do fine with metal but they might be out of your price range.

I would cross off um1s for metal. It does it ok, but bass isnt great. If youre lookin for cheap, I really like metal on ep630s

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 33
Oh for sure go with the UM2s. I think it really depends on the source, but my meizu m6 has a 10 band eq so that can go a long way. But, the UM2s are punchy as hell when it comes to double bass and since they were made as musicians monitors originally, i think they sound very similar to that crazy sensation you feel of just strait power when you see a metal show. I listen to Slayer, Lamb of God, Megadeth, The Haunted, Buckethead, Arch Enemy, Opeth, you name it, they all sound grreeaat!

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 33
no iem will sound good with the meizu m6 as it hisses too much. if you have an amp or the er4s, you may get on with it, but um2 was unbearable with meizu and westone3 will no better, nor e500, er4p (well, a little better). even the m5 atrio hissed too much to enjoy.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 33
ive read around that the Crossroads MylarOne XB (aka MylarTwo) is good for metal as well....havent heard it personally though

Jul 4, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ety er-4p, i listen to amon amarth, exodus, slayer, megadeth, kreator, suffocation, cannibal corpse, pig destroyer, kalmah, and many other metal bands, and these sound great with it to me. But i am not a basshead

I agree with ZackP. For metal it is great to me as well, but it definitely doesn't have that bass punch. The highs and mids sound good though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #13 of 33
Both E500 and especially ER4p are not designed for bass oriented music, even they are so good. Westone UM2 is one of options is favor by many bass lovers.

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 33
I love my Audio Technica ATH-CK7s for metal. They have tight, punchy bass - great for drums. The highs are sparkly and they can capture that "rough edge" of the guitars really well. At ~$70 they are a fantastic value. Just give them a while to burn in. They sound good out of the box but as time passes they just get better and better.

I've never heard them but if you have the money I'd assume that ER4Ps sound better. I really prefer the CK7 to the ER6 though.

Just to give you an example, I listen to primarily Nevermore, Opeth, Symphony X and DT.

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no iem will sound good with the meizu m6

I disagree.

Try the ER4S or iM716. They were made to be used from the M6 unamped.

Also since when the hell was metal bass-heavy? Metal needs speed and precision; as long as you can capture the drums and the extension of frequency you don't need the fat bass that the UM2 provides. Although I imagine the UM2 will be good with the darker genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back