What's a good EQ to buy?
Apr 29, 2006 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sladeophile

Headphoneus Supremus
Don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I have been looking at equalizers on ebay lately, vintage and new, and I'm wondering what a good one is to pick up. I don't want to spend over 50 bucks, but there seem to be a lot that fit under that price. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Slade

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 12
Me too... maybe...

But... for that budget... just go with one of the TEAC's, or Techniques in like new condition... try it... and see what you think.

Any of them are going to add inexpensive circuitry to the signal path, and are likely to reduce the sound quality a bit (e.g. detail, resolution, clarity, transparency, etc.), while adding some user selected distortion to emphasize / deemphasize frequencies that your recording, media, source, or other equipment "don't get right" in your opinion.

So, if you prefer to "bias" the signal to your sonic preferences at the moment with a specific recording, or setup - have at it.

You can always sell it if you don't like it.

GF2

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 12
Cheap EQ does not work very well, they tend to be noisy, and for that price the only way to go is a vintage one in good condition, check eBay, otherwise go to the "pro" world, Behringer, Alesis, etc...DO make acceptable EQs, but non on that budget...

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Cheap EQ does not work very well, they tend to be noisy, and for that price the only way to go is a vintage one in good condition, check eBay, otherwise go to the "pro" world, Behringer, Alesis, etc...DO make acceptable EQs, but non on that budget...

Any very expensive or good EQ?

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Well, it's more of an experiment to see what happens. If I don't like it, I will sell it, simple as that...

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 12
As Sovkiller mentioned , a pro sound EQ may be the ticket.

Behringer for $80 --- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ors?sku=182489

240711.jpg

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mika

Sure, Weiss EQ1

Cheers

Thomas

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 12
Ok, how bout sub $200 instead? Does that get me into any better of an eq??

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 12
EQ is the DEVIL! As some one kindly pointed out to me when I first joined cough*Jahn*cough
biggrin.gif
, I don't use it anymore but I have a Marantz EQ-20 with ten bands for each channel (Stereo) and it sounded pretty decent, no noise, no distortion, multiple inputs and outputs, price ranges between $50-100 depending on condition.

Apr 30, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mika

I've got a decent Mid-Range rig, and I'm very happy with the EQ and the DAC in the Behringer DEQ2496. It's about $300 USD new. I got mine for $250 USD as a B-stock unit (has a minor cosmetic blemish, but is sold with the full new unit warranty). I gave it a careful examination when it came, and I could not see the blemish.

If used to adjust the spectral content of a sound in small amounts (NOT to try to transform one sound into another that it is not) the output sounds better to my ear than the un-EQ'd signal (because its frequency content has been nudged here and there to match the precise balance that MY ear prefers from MY equipment - rather than the balance that the production engineer's ear preferred on the production equipment). I'll qualify that last observation by the fact that I'm 51 years old, and I may be using EQ to compensate for the decades of life's wear-and-tear on these ears of mine. Not that I've been diagnosed with any hearing deficiencies, but the decades tend to bring on a diminishing aural acuity, and a less-than-optimal acoustic spectral response. Getting back to the sound of this Behringer unit, it's not at all the cheesy-sounding result which can come from, say, the EQ module of MP3 player software such as WinAmp or Foobar2000 (IMO).

I don't have any experience with EQ units other than this Berhinger DEQ2496, so I cannot contribute to the original request in this thread for a unit under $50.

May 2, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 12
Why do you want an EQ? (Sorry, I'm not trying to sound inpolite)

If you have a good set up it will produce the music true to its original recording. Isn't that our objective, to replicate the original as best we can?
confused.gif

As far as I can see using an EQ is more likely to take us away from that goal.

May 2, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 12
You can sometimes find rane, white, and apogee EQs on ebay for under $200. But unless you're trying to compensate for feedback due to ringing mics, I think EQs do more harm than good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back