Whats a good band(music) name?
Apr 22, 2007 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

Ampl1tude

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone! I'm thinking of making another band and I would like to read some suggestions on what band names sound catchy and cool.

I came up with:

Deep Roots
Acid Reality
Light Head
CityScape

What name's would you suggest? And whats your story behind it?

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 93
the colourful lights
steppendog
to eleven
forever doll
golliver
the living
*****ing darlings
eddie and the chestnuts
lazy suzan
the shoulder chips

/when i'm bored i think up band names

Apr 22, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #6 of 93
by default, all band names sound stupid. so pick the one that's actually relevant to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the colourful lights
steppendog
to eleven
forever doll
golliver
the living
*****ing darlings
eddie and the chestnuts
lazy suzan
the shoulder chips

/when i'm bored i think up band names

me too, i ended up with "the hamburger crew". simple, to the point. taken by the drums + guitar + ukulele trio that will happen some day though. also, of course, "callipygous maximus" and "guffawing possum". i really like lazy suzan and eddie and the chestnuts for some reason..

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 93
Fat Tard Faced Freakomatical Spazmatrons With No Nuts Or Breakfast Cereal

FTFFSWNNOBC for short.

Edit: Thelonious Monk thats so awesome! A Ukulele trio!!! Coolest idea ever.

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 93
I'd call my group 'a crappy band' as it sounds so cool whenever is announced in any context.

The new single by a crappy band
Joe left a crapy band
a crappy band has disbanded
An interview with members of a crappy band

see, the fun never stops
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 93
I think that "Sportsmanship" would make a good/ridiculous band name. Or maybe "Good Sportsmanship" simply for the pleasure of being introduced to the stage with a "Please welcome to the stage... good sportsmanship!"

Or "Trolls Under The Bridge"

All band names are ridiculous until you make them cool. I mean, consider "The Beatles." That's a really really dumb-sounding name. But they made it cool. Same thing with "Radiohead". The list goes on. Take any successful band, and try to separate the name from the band itself and suddenly the name sounds really ridiculous.

Most of the ones in the OP's original post are a little too generic. I mean, "Deep Roots" and "CityScape" sound like names for generic XM radio channels or something. A good name should be unique and memorable... which is coincidentally exactly why all proper band names sound completely dumb and ridiculous at first. They don't need to have a story, or have any real personal or musical relevance to your band. It just needs to sound dumb at first.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 93
It should be a name that sounds witty initially, but should become less funny each time you hear it.

How about... the B-sharps!

A friends band was called "may contain nuts", I liked that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back