What's a binaural headphone?
Oct 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

miceblue

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just randomly browsing Amazon.com for headphones that they have (since I saw someone wearing a model I didn't recognize), and I found this pair.

Sennheiser PC 166 Binaural Multimedia/Gaming Headset with Noise-Canceling Microphone

1. How do you have a binaural headphone? I thought binaural was a method to record sounds/music.
2. How do you have a noise-cancelling microphone

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
I was just randomly browsing Amazon.com for headphones that they have (since I saw someone wearing a model I didn't recognize), and I found this pair.

Sennheiser PC 166 Binaural Multimedia/Gaming Headset with Noise-Canceling Microphone

1. How do you have a binaural headphone? I thought binaural was a method to record sounds/music.

1. A binaural headphone is another name for a stereo headphone. What you are thinking about is a binaural microphone.
2. Search google for how noise-cancelation works and you'll have your answer.

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 15
LFF is correct.

binaural may be closely associated with a recording technique, but in actuality it simply means "hearing with two ears".

the same way "binocular" means "seeing with two eyes".  but if someone said "binocular" you would think immediately of binoculars.

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
1. A binaural headphone is another name for a stereo headphone. What you are thinking about is a binaural microphone.
2. Search google for how noise-cancelation works and you'll have your answer.

2. Yeah sorry about that. I should have used a Google search beforehand. I knew that some microphones had noise reduction properties, but I didn't think it was noise canceling per se.

Quote:
LFF is correct.

binaural may be closely associated with a recording technique, but in actuality it simply means "hearing with two ears".

the same way "binocular" means "seeing with two eyes".  but if someone said "binocular" you would think immediately of binoculars.

Ah I see. I haven't heard the term used for a stereo headphone before. I thought it would bea stereo headphone, but I wasn't quite sure. Usually when I think of binaural, I immediately think of binaural recordings where they use the special "dummy head" to create a more realistic 3-D sound environment.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 15
No stereo illusion from headphones, authority here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec03/articles/mixingheadphones.htm#5

IRCAM sound research center in france developped a DSP about HRTF processing into making headphones reproducing a stereo image like speakers. Pretty secret stuff, all head fiers seems to hear a stereo image while there is close to none on headphones!

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 15
The dummy head with microphone placed at the ear placement is used to recreat the cross talk effect and the time coherent phase shift that occurs when the sound travel around the human head, Read the article , so much NON BS in there! Dig in!

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
No stereo illusion from headphones, authority here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec03/articles/mixingheadphones.htm#5

IRCAM sound research center in france developped a DSP about HRTF processing into making headphones reproducing a stereo image like speakers. Pretty secret stuff, all head fiers seems to hear a stereo image while there is close to none on headphones!

Over the years I've written a couple of times that there is no real stereo image with headphones, just unnatural separation and fatigue as a result unless you're used to it. People ignore this / don't want to hear it.

Quote:
The dummy head with microphone placed at the ear placement is used to recreat the cross talk effect and the time coherent phase shift that occurs when the sound travel around the human head, Read the article , so much NON BS in there! Dig in!

I've developed a fb2k plugin that also incorporates cross talk and phase shift and head shadow (all configurable). Never listening to headphones without it. :)

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 15
Over the years I've written a couple of times that there is no real stereo image with headphones, just unnatural separation and fatigue as a result unless you're used to it. People ignore this / don't want to hear it.

I've developed a fb2k plugin that also incorporates cross talk and phase shift and head shadow (all configurable). Never listening to headphones without it. :)

Is that the component that looks like this?
If it is, then you are my hero. After I got used to crossfeed and found a good DSP, I never listen to it without it. Even on my phone I have a player with crossfeed. (Poweramp)

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 15
Yes it is, glad you like it.

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Jun 20, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 15

You know what?  I came in here because of the same questions.  I know what binaural was and surprised when I saw the "binaural" headphones by Sennheiser from Google results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back