Whatever happened to: "Your Welcome?"
May 13, 2007 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 107

ken36

Good stuff!
Whatever happened to: "Your Welcome?"
When I go to a ---------- and say Thank You to a service or any person, under 30, they say back to me "No Problem."

For example:
Waiters. (Exception restuarants w/tablecloths)
Doormen.
Security personnel.
Gardeners.
ETC, etc.

I think, it is a problem to them, but the are really, putting themselves out on the chance it might give them a bigger tip. So where is the old standby Your Welcome?

May 13, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 107
Probably the same thing that happened to people knowing how to do a contraction properly...

May 13, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 107
Why not better expect them to say you are welcome, instead of "your welcome", which is gramatically incorrect...

May 13, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 107
"You're welcome" has always seemed to me to draw to much attention to the act for which another person is thanking you. "No problem" seems to me to be the more humble response, along the same lines as "Don't mention it."

Also, with the inflection and tone many use to utter the words "You're welcome," you would think they are more impressed with themselves than your appreciation of them, which from my experience tends to be a little repulsive to the under-30 crowd. Sometimes we don't like the niceties because they aren't actually nice anymore.

I'm 29.

May 13, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"You're welcome" has always seemed to me to draw to much attention to the act for which another person is thanking you. "No problem" seems to me to be the more humble response, along the same lines as "Don't mention it."

Also, with the inflection and tone many use to utter the words "You're welcome," you would think they are more impressed with themselves than your appreciation of them, which from my experience tends to be a little repulsive to the under-30 crowd. Sometimes we don't like the niceties because they aren't actually nice anymore.

I'm 29.

awesome insightful post. QFT

May 13, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the same thing that happened to people knowing how to do a contraction properly...

Quoted for being rude, petty, and off-topic. Be dumb somewhere else.

May 13, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least it's better than a sarcastic sigh, grunt, or no response at all.

meh

wink.gif

I actually take pride in being polite since it very much seems to be a lost art.

May 13, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 107
Ken...it is the same thing that happened to "excuse me" when someone has run into you, run over your foot with their shopping cart, or when some unsupervised kid runs into you while playing "super destructo" games in the store or restaraunt you happen to be in at the time...you will be lucky if they say anything at all.

May 13, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quoted for being rude, petty, and off-topic. Be dumb somewhere else.

Quoted for being equally rude and off topic.
wink.gif

Sorry, I'm salty, I'm at work at 9am on a Sunday.

May 13, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 107
"No problem" focuses on the recipient: "there's no reason to thank me, it wasn't a problem to do that." "You're welcome" focuses on the giver: "I was happy to do that for you."

Many of the times we say "thank you," the act itself was nominal. Consider "please pass the salt": "you're welcome" says, basically, "well, you know, I could have decided not to pass the salt, but I decided to because I like you, and you are welcome to enjoy my labors," which, when spelled out that way, is extremely pretentious; "no problem" says, on the other hand, "dude, I just passed you the salt, let's not make a thing out of it."

Other times, the act is not insignificant; "you're welcome" is appropriate when the act is worth making a thing out of. If you host a dinner party, everyone knows you went to a fair amount of trouble to be a host: here, everyone knows that there were problems you dealt with, so "no problem" is self-effacing rather than gracious, which may be uncomfortable because the guests aren't sure whether you mean "I don't want to talk about it but I'm just glad you're leaving" or "such a small gesture for such great company really wasn't a problem"; "you're welcome," on the other hand, says, "sure, it was a pain to clean the house, cook the food, and now to clean up after you guys, but I had a great time and I'll be happy to do it again sometime."

"No problem" acknowledges the recipient's appreciation of the act without addressing the act itself. "You're welcome" acknowledges the recipient's appreciation, but also the efforts of the giver.

In my humble opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 107
I read a rant (though not really a rant) about this a couple years back. I guess it had some effect - in a random act of decency yesterday, I held a gate open for an older man in a wheelchair and replied with "you're welcome" after he thanked me. I'm 28. I think you're right that most people over say 40 expect/prefer this over "no problem", and so I have no problem saying it
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 107
Thinking about it, when I've held a door or something and get thanked, I tend to reply with a " 's alright" and a shrug, or just a smile. Saying "you're welcome" feels like it formalises an action which is pretty unconcious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back