What your most listened to music... not your favourite but most frequent
Apr 7, 2005 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TonyTripleA

500+ Head-Fier
I was very surprised to have a look at my play count on my iTunes. If you had asked my favourite music I would have a list that said probably rock titles like:

Tommy by the Who
Supertramp
Sinnead O'Connor
Cranberries

Folk/Classical/Jazz would look like:

Dianna Krall
Prokofiev violin concertos
Beethoven piano (ahhh the waldstein)
Dave Bruebeck

But looking at my most played list was a surprise:

Tchaikovsky's Valse-Scherzo Op. 34 by DAvid Oistakh/Vladimir Yampolsky on the "Encores - Oistrakh" album. With a play count of 46 it was almost double the next best listened track and I hate to say this but that was Bond doing a version of the 1812 (very unaudiophile... heck when was I listening to this).

I was even more amazed to see classical or classical style soundtracks made up 11 of the top 12 in terms of frequency of play. Bjork got in there to my surprise (I knew I loved her but that much?).

To those of you who have a count... were you surprised as I was?

Bear in mind my iTunes only counts music I listen to at work, cycling or when at the computer and too lazy to plug into the main system instead of just listening to the computer.

TonyAAA

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 18
Well my favorite type of music is electronic, everything from Ambient to IDM to vocal stuff like VNV Nation.

However I also will put my 6,000 or so MP3s on random a lot and use my global hotkey to switch songs, I have every genre from bluegrass to (very little) rap, classical, classic rock, rock, industrial rock, industrial, alternative.........you get the point.

I would say I listen to Ambient the most because at work I listen to nothing else but Ambient internet radio such as Cryosleep and Drone Zone(from shoutcast.com) or www.sleepbot.com and that is in a typical workday so it adds up fast.

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 18
Lately:

Warren Zevon, Warren Zevon.
This Is Los Angeles.

Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane over the Sea
For most of the 1990s, I viewed 'lo-fi' as an epithet. No more.

World Party, Dumbing Up
As opposed to?

Julian Cope, works
He's back!

and stuff.

-jbunniii

Apr 7, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 18
Jbunniii: "lo-fi as an epithet" - I gotta remember that line. In the 1990s my budget was so low fi I couldn't afford to ask what hi fi was!

TonyAAA

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 18
The following songs get continual play in my car and on my Zen:

Hostage To Heaven - Grip Inc.
Future Breed Machine - Meshuggah
The Drapery Falls - Opeth
The Final Curtain - Destruction
Closure - Opeth
Fire In The Head - The Tea Party
Old - Machine Head
Bi Furious - Downer
We DisIntegrate - Nevermore
Streamline - System of a Down
The Funeral Portrait - Opeth
Deliverance - Opeth
Parole - Ra
Dig Me Up To Bury Me - Flotsam & Jetsam
Blackout - Hed PE
Samsara - the Tea Party
Stjerneheimen - Enslaved
Denied - Annihilator
What You Say - Skrape

Apr 7, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 18
My rotation changes so often it's hard to tell. One week I'll be listening to nothing but Pink Floyd, the next It's Shpongle and Juno Reactor. Currently I'm on a bit of a trip-hop/drum'n'bass theme, with some Goldfrapp, Massive Attack, Squarepusher, and Amon Tobin. Maybe put on some Kid Koala later.

There are a few albums by a particular band, though, that I always seem to come back to and sing along with. That band is They Might Be Giants. I'm something of a fan (okay, so I own 19 albums/EPs, which is most of them). The albums are:

Flood
Apollo 18
John Henry
Factory Showroom

And Pink Floyd - Pulse, because it's one of the best live albums ever created, if not the best.

Apr 7, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 18
My most played cds on itunes are:

The creatures- boomerang
Magnetic Fields- holiday
Sugar Cubes- Life's too Good
Bauhaus- burning from the inside
Smiths- Louder than Bombs, Meat is Murder, The Queen is Dead

But, I only have about 20% of my home collection on my work computer. I don't listen to the nerdier bands I love at work (Rush, Tull, etc)

Apr 7, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 18
All of Usher's album. i simply love his music. <------This above all.
Zero 7 - Simple Things
John Mayer - Room For Squares , Heavier Things
Justin Timberlake
Norah Jones
Outkast
Alicia Keys
Donell Jones
Linkin Park
Thievery Corporation

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 18
Radiohead !?!
blink.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 18
It's strange- lately, I've been laying off of what I call my "favorite-" mostly QOSTA and Kyuss, along with some Electric Wizard thrown in. But
this week, its alot of Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and The Beatles. According to Audioscrobbler, Hendrix is my top played artist for the past few days.
Judging from the rest of the responses (and audioscrobbler), it looks like we dont even play what we consider our "favorite" music much more often than we do anything else- interesting.

Apr 8, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 18
Whenever i need a break form the Prog rock / Prog Metal stuff (dreamtheater, Liquid tension, Rush, Genesis, Yes, Marillion, Pre87' Metallica, Maiden, BOC...). I listen to traditional (or whatever its called... old school...?) country western, Dolly Parton, Wylon jennings , junoir Brown, Johnny cash. Been listening to a lot of Tom Petty and John Fogerty lately too.

Garrett

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 18
Most listened to

Artist: STRAPPING YOUNG LAD \m/\m/\m/

Most played track: Tomoyasu Hotei - Battle Without Honor Or Humanity

Not very surprising all in all, strapping young lad is teh awesomes, and I love that song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back