What you don't like about Grado cans...
Dec 15, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
So its nail polish yeah? I can't say I have too much of that lol
smily_headphones1.gif
Do I have to pop open the little black box?

No opening of boxes needed - you push the rod up until you see the area of the metal rod that would usually be in the box once the cans are comfortable on your ears, then you polish that section only, then after it is dry (make certain it is dry!) you push the rod gently back into the box so the polished section is now fully in the box - bingo, snug fit and it won't even rotate as much! And it's fully reversible - just use some Cutex and a cotton swab and wipe it off.

edit - you might have to add a few layers of polish- the more layers, the thicker the diameter, the less movement from the rods in the tension box.

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #32 of 70
To me, they all sound like I am listening to music through a length of pipe. Some sound like pvc pipe, others like metal pipe, but they all have that effect on me.

Also, pads that press my ears flat to my head make everything sound quite messed up. Maybe this is the reason for my first issue.

Third, the mechanical design is not very stable on my head. If I turn my head too quickly I can get an earcup to flip over. Upside down they seem quite stable.

They did seem to have an overly punchy midbass, and very little deep bass, but I can work around that.

I don't know which ones I have not listened to, except that I have not heard the PS-1. I have listened to the wood ones, the plastic ones, and a couple of pairs of metal ones. None worked for me.

gerG

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
No opening of boxes needed - you push the rod up until you see the area of the metal rod that would usually be in the box once the cans are comfortable on your ears, then you polish that section only, then after it is dry (make certain it is dry!) you push the rod gently back into the box so the polished section is now fully in the box - bingo, snug fit and it won't even rotate as much! And it's fully reversible - just use some Cutex and a cotton swab and wipe it off.

edit - you might have to add a few layers of polish- the more layers, the thicker the diameter, the less movement from the rods in the tension box.

Cheers Jahn
smily_headphones1.gif
Now all a need is that nail polish
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #34 of 70
  1. Comfort issue (effect starts to kick in after an hour or so)
  2. excessive highs + thin highs - fake sounding (225, 325i)
  3. excessive mids - a little too honky (just about every one of them)
  4. sound stage is too small (just about every one of them)

to counter balance the cons, here's what I like about it: (225/325i/ms2i)
  1. tight and impactful bass (225, 325i)
  2. narrow bass width, doesnt sound bloated
  3. solid mids (really....it's just the highs that are thin)

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #35 of 70
My list would go:

1) Comfort - I don't find the Grados to be excessively uncomfortable but I still think they're the least comfortable type of headphone I've ever owned.

2) Build Quality - I think Prestige Series Grados feel cheap/flimsy when compared to other headphones in a similar price range. I don't think this complaint applies as much to the Reference Series though I suppose the use of glue on a $700 heaphone could probably be debated.

3) Lack of Versatility - To my ears Grados aren't versatile enough due mostly to their soundstage and somewhat exaggerated sound. They do a good job on vocal heavy music, acoustic guitars and small jazz groups but I don't think I could ever keep a Grado as my only headphone.

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
If you enjoyed the HD555, then you might not be used to the aggressive nature of those Grado cans you picked out

he will adapt
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #39 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
mm
take in consideration when you have them on ears that 325(i) are the brighter Grado cans around

But he will adapt.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #42 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
I dont understand it when people say grados dont have enough bass. sr60s with comfies have waaay more bass than senn 555s

the main problem is that for sr series ( lower end and absolutely supraural ) listening to the bass is a completely different story and feeling imo , then listening to the bass of a nice circumaural headphone .
the sound of the two types works differently on ears imo , so that is not easy to compare really ...
mhso

Dec 23, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #43 of 70
1) Comfort. Uncomforatable (with any of the supraaural pads) for listening sessions over 1 hour. Haven't been able to wear for 2 hours in one sitting.
2) Sound quality. The RS series are slightly poor technical performers for the price, relative to other headphone brands. Fortunately they do have a nice musical sound, which is what saves that lineup. I also found the sr225 somewhat poor for the price. The old sr325 is a bit too bright and harsh even with vwap pads. The hp series is sonically excellent but probably overpriced in the current market (considering how old, and sometimes delicate, they are). The last sr200 I heard had some of the worst bass I've experienced in a hifi headphone.
3) Build. I hate the vinyl headbands. The RS series headband is OK, but still use plastic in other places. The L & R swivel joints bits are particulary ugly and cheap looking. HP series chassis is immaculate (godly, even), but seems like the solder points on the inside don't always hold up well.
4) Bowl pads. All grados above the sr60 currently ship with these pads, and I find them unlistenable. I've had to buy vwap pads or Todd's flats for my Grados.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #44 of 70
Their cable tastes like bubble wrap. The nasty kind.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #45 of 70
I don't like the fact that I only heard what Grado sounded like about 3 months ago...if you like rock though, realistically you can't afford not to try them out.

They aren't super comfortable, and also abit annoying that they leak sound more than other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back