What would your dream iem from jh audio be, minus Layla, for classic rock (pink floyd, doobie brothers, beatles), 80's pop synth, 90's alternative as well as depeche mode and such? ,

Jh audio iem

• Total voters
May 9, 2019 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

JamesPTao

New Head-Fier
As explained in title am curious your dream JH Audio iem not counting Layla, it's out of price range. I love classic rock, alternative, 80's pop, 90's alternative, depeche mode and such.
Currently own the eu triple fi 10 and want an iem I will be happy with for many years. Looking to get a custom as I have small ears and the triple fi's can hurt after a while. Not interested in incremental upgrades. Want to buy one and be done for a long time. What are you thoughts? Which would be your dream iem for this and why?

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 24
As explained in title am curious your dream JH Audio iem not counting Layla, it's out of price range. I love classic rock, alternative, 80's pop, 90's alternative, depeche mode and such.
Currently own the eu triple fi 10 and want an iem I will be happy with for many years. Looking to get a custom as I have small ears and the triple fi's can hurt after a while. Not interested in incremental upgrades. Want to buy one and be done for a long time. What are you thoughts? Which would be your dream iem for this and why?

I guess it's all relative, but I had the Lola's and the 16v2 pro for a while.

As technically sound as the Lola's are I really couldn't warm to them.

For me with progressive rock such as Pink Floyd etc the 16s are far more detailed which to me is important.

So my son is now the lucky owner of the Lola's

May 10, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 24
I guess it's all relative, but I had the Lola's and the 16v2 pro for a while.

As technically sound as the Lola's are I really couldn't warm to them.

For me with progressive rock such as Pink Floyd etc the 16s are far more detailed which to me is important.

So my son is now the lucky owner of the Lola's
Thanks that helps. I listen to a lot of high res pink floyd including dsd versions so detail is a big thing for me too.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 24
Hey guys, I’m very interested in this question too. I got a Hiby Pro R6 recently and I use my Audeze LCD-2s at home. I’m finally ready for a wicked pair of custom IEM’s and everyone talks about JH audio.
https://www.headfonia.com/jh-audio-jh13v2-pro-review/

I too listen to Pink Floyd DSD’s and also a lot of classical, Norah Jones, etc. not hip hop or stuff with lots of bass

The 13v2 pro’s look like they’ve been out for a few years though right? Are the 16’s simply an upgrade or different sound entirely?

Very new to the high end audio world. I’d greatly appreciate any advice!

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 24

Brief background: I purchased custom Jh13 Pro eons ago, broke them (a painful memory) and then upgraded to the JH16 Pro original version. I really liked them, unaware, apparently, of their technological primitiveness. Three of the drivers went bad recently. I was told this by the service person at JH Audio. They offered to fix them for $425 or so, or to give me a discount on one of their current models. They sent me Roxanne and Lola demos, which I have at the moment. I would kind of like to stick with JH Audio out of a certain brand loyalty and a "made in the USA" thing (which I certainly do not practice consistently in my life).

I will add that the people at JH Audio have been really friendly and responsive and nice.

I was pretty keen to try the Roxanne, which is billed as "ideal for rock music." What I have found so far is that the sound is JH Audio "thick," on steroids. I like the JH Audio sound, but Roxanne may be too much for me. The treble rolloff is extreme. Even my cheapo Blon-BL03 have better treble. I have experimented with the variable bass, and I do like it at about 2-2.30 p.m., so I guess I am a basshead. But the overall signature seems compressed and too thick to me. There is not enough detail. I have tried the Roxannes with my iphone w/Dragonfly Red, my A & K SR15, and my ifi micro idsd black label DAC.

I say this with the caveat that I am an older guy and my hearing up past about 8 khz is almost nil. I have my own treble rolloff. But I can hear the Roxannes rolling off well below the limits of my high frequency hearing limits.

I have also tried the Lolas, and I like them better. More detail, a bit airier and more open. Great bass and sub bass. Better treble, though the high frequencies are not a strong point relative to any number of other IEM's. A possibility.

But atm, my inclination is to simply upgrade to the current version of the 16 Pro. I liked the signature for six years; I liked the level of detail, and I liked the bass. It is also less expensive than "the girls." I am actually tempted just to fix the old 16 Pros, but I am realistic enough to know that some of the other drivers will likely go bad within the next few years. It is time to move on . That's my two cents' worth.

Doug Greenberg

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 24
Brief background: I purchased custom Jh13 Pro eons ago, broke them (a painful memory) and then upgraded to the JH16 Pro original version. I really liked them, unaware, apparently, of their technological primitiveness. Three of the drivers went bad recently. I was told this by the service person at JH Audio. They offered to fix them for $425 or so, or to give me a discount on one of their current models. They sent me Roxanne and Lola demos, which I have at the moment. I would kind of like to stick with JH Audio out of a certain brand loyalty and a "made in the USA" thing (which I certainly do not practice consistently in my life).

I will add that the people at JH Audio have been really friendly and responsive and nice.

I was pretty keen to try the Roxanne, which is billed as "ideal for rock music." What I have found so far is that the sound is JH Audio "thick," on steroids. I like the JH Audio sound, but Roxanne may be too much for me. The treble rolloff is extreme. Even my cheapo Blon-BL03 have better treble. I have experimented with the variable bass, and I do like it at about 2-2.30 p.m., so I guess I am a basshead. But the overall signature seems compressed and too thick to me. There is not enough detail. I have tried the Roxannes with my iphone w/Dragonfly Red, my A & K SR15, and my ifi micro idsd black label DAC.

I say this with the caveat that I am an older guy and my hearing up past about 8 khz is almost nil. I have my own treble rolloff. But I can hear the Roxannes rolling off well below the limits of my high frequency hearing limits.

I have also tried the Lolas, and I like them better. More detail, a bit airier and more open. Great bass and sub bass. Better treble, though the high frequencies are not a strong point relative to any number of other IEM's. A possibility.

But atm, my inclination is to simply upgrade to the current version of the 16 Pro. I liked the signature for six years; I liked the level of detail, and I liked the bass. It is also less expensive than "the girls." I am actually tempted just to fix the old 16 Pros, but I am realistic enough to know that some of the other drivers will likely go bad within the next few years. It is time to move on . That's my two cents' worth.

Doug Greenberg
Awesome! Any reason you didnt try the 16v2's along with the roxx and lola?

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 24
I think the reasoning in the discussion was that I already am familiar with the sound signature of the 16 Pro, having owned it for years. It actually would help to have one currently, actually, for a more immediate comparison. But I was happy they were sending me the two demos, so I didn't press the issue.

Doug Greenberg

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 24
I think the reasoning in the discussion was that I already am familiar with the sound signature of the 16 Pro, having owned it for years. It actually would help to have one currently, actually, for a more immediate comparison. But I was happy they were sending me the two demos, so I didn't press the issue.

Doug Greenberg
Makes sense. How would you compare the 16's you had and the lolas? Reason i ask is im currently trying to decide between those to atm

Aug 5, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 24
Makes sense. How would you compare the 16's you had and the lolas? Reason i ask is im currently trying to decide between those to atm
Since I don't have the 16's right here to do a one-after-the-other comparison, I am reluctant to offer one. I think the 16's are a bit more detailed at the high end. There are comparisons in Head-fi and elsewhere which other people have done; some say the 16's are more "flat" and have "less body." They say the Lola is designed with guitarists in mind. People write things in reviews sometimes that I cannot fathom; when differences are subtle, we all hear differently.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 24
Since I don't have the 16's right here to do a one-after-the-other comparison, I am reluctant to offer one. I think the 16's are a bit more detailed at the high end. There are comparisons in Head-fi and elsewhere which other people have done; some say the 16's are more "flat" and have "less body." They say the Lola is designed with guitarists in mind. People write things in reviews sometimes that I cannot fathom; when differences are subtle, we all hear differently.
If youve got any link to those comparisons id really appreciate it. I cant seem to find them for the life of me, aside from the one on audio bacon.

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 24
I guess the Audiobacon one is the most focused on these two. Some of the other earlier reviews deal with the 16 Pro, the earlier incarnation of the 16. Some reviews have said that the mids of the 16 series are too thin compared with the Roxanne, at least and probably the Lola. But I think the higher frequency detail is better.

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 24
I guess the Audiobacon one is the most focused on these two. Some of the other earlier reviews deal with the 16 Pro, the earlier incarnation of the 16. Some reviews have said that the mids of the 16 series are too thin compared with the Roxanne, at least and probably the Lola. But I think the higher frequency detail is better.
What I can't figure out is when he says the 16v2 is much flatter than the lola, does he mean flatter in a less detailed not harmonically rich kind of way, or flatter in a more even frequency distribution kind of way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back