What Would You Vote as Best Portable Amp?
Apr 7, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #16 of 55
I voted for the PRII, even though Larocco audio the company really honks me off.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #17 of 55
I voted for the Hornet even though I own a Tomahawk. I had a chance to listen to them both at Ray's house and I liked the sound of the Hornet just a bit better. However, I wanted to buy what I though was the best portable amp. The size of the Tomahawk and battery life won me over.

To me, the Hornet is just a more upfront amp and sounds bigger. The Tomahawk is just a little laid back. The SR-71 and the Tomahawk are very similar. The Tomahawk on high gain (even with IEMs) gets very close to the Hornet.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #18 of 55
Yeah, no supermicro, no vote for me. Just got back with upgrades from xin... There is a liquidity and humanness present in this little guy that nothing else portable can match. Personally waiting for the maxed 627 macro so no impressions on that yet although it is supposed to have 'surpassed' the micro at this point.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #19 of 55
Taking SQ, portability, battery life, build quality and customer service (yep, important to me!) into consideration... I vote Tomahawk... Just love this little guy!

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taking SQ, portability, battery life, build quality and customer service (yep, important to me!) into consideration... I vote Tomahawk... Just love this little guy!

Hey, what are you trying to say about my man Xin?
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #21 of 55
Millet Hybrid Tube wiped all the RSA portables, and the Headroom ones I've heard. You'll want to expand this list, especially after the National Meet, where many others will have a chance to weigh in.

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #22 of 55
No one talks about Xenos 1HA-EPx.
Isn't it a good amp?
I didn't vote because I owned only one the Tomahawk which I 'm not satisfied with its performance.
I'm thinking of buying either Xenos 1HA-EPx or GV v6.
Just to try them out.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #23 of 55
I voted for the Tomahawk as I just received mine this week. Probably the wrong thing to vote on as I haven't heard any of the others on the list!
blink.gif
But to me the TH is excellent, not as good as my Headroom MicroStack, but the TH is truly portable.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #24 of 55
None of the above?

Should I just vote for what I think is the best of the list?

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #25 of 55
Once again, sorry for not having all amps in there. I can see the SuperMicro IV could have had many votes. I seem to have overlooked some amps. And can't find a way to add more amps to this poll. My bad probably
icon10.gif

In response to Boomana:
I was looking for votes merely based on soundqual. Not so much on portability or price. Since I walk around with a large bag everyday I don't really mind my amp being (slightly) bigger and heavier. Soundqual rules imo even when I am out. I agree with you on the Govibe 5. Still I like it in such way it makes my iPod sound much much better than without an amp, so will have to do with that for now.

And thank you all for the replies and votes so far!

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #26 of 55
I really think you should include the Xin SuperMacro-IV into the list of options. I think if you click on Edit for your first post, then click on Advanced you'll be able to add it.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #27 of 55
How could you miss the Portaphle maxxed.. It's out right better then 2-3 on the list, & very comparable to the SR-71/Hornet/Larocco..

PS.. Original Masters/Super macro IV should be on the list as well..

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the company really honks me off.

Ha! No, I'm not happy about this of course, but definitely an inventive expression
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #29 of 55
Hornet M or Larocco PRII if you want to drive everything from full sized, high-end, power hungry cans to IEMs, etc...

Tomahawk if you want to drive mainly IEMs and lower impedance cans...

I'd choose the Toma over the supermicro 4 because of the case and build quality... The supermicro sure sounds great but, let's be honest, that plastic case is cheap and looks butt-ugly... Surely doesn't look like a high-end piece of audio gear! The toma is priced higher but, again, it's built like a tank, has better battery life, a gain switch, and has waaaay better customer service.

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #30 of 55
Best portable amp? Depends on what you want.

supermicro for size and sound.
tomahawk for battery life and build quality (sounds good too). good service.
Supermacro Iv LE for features - switches + 120/200hour battery life + charging, opamp rolling.
GV6 for price as it's the lowest on there.

As for the hornet - it's good at what it does, but beyond that it has nothing special. It sounds great I'm sure, is flexible for headphones, but it doesn't have the crazy battery life of the TH, isn't much smaller than the supermacro that has so much flexibility. Other than good customer service. But for some that's enough to make the hornet best overall.

Depends what you want from a portable. PRII isn't very portable imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back