What Would You Vote as Best Portable Amp?
Apr 7, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #31 of 55
SuperMacro LE.

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really think you should include the Xin SuperMacro-IV into the list of options. I think if you click on Edit for your first post, then click on Advanced you'll be able to add it.

That's not working. Already tried that
frown.gif

Shoit...I thought I had most of the important amps...guess not.

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #33 of 55
The Xenos OHA-REP is the only one I've tried. It came with a rechargeable battery and AC. It's still stock -- I haven't tried any of the mods -- but the sound is amazing, accommodating hard-to-drive cans such as the K701. It also delivers on the 701's wide soundstage. I don't miss too much when I use it at home, where I normally go with the HR Desktop or LD2++.

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #34 of 55
If it is purely sound quality based as the OP stated then it would be the Larocco PR2 for me.

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #35 of 55
Also forgot to add in - Skylab did a comparison of a number of portable amps. A quick search will find the post.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Millet Hybrid Tube wiped all the RSA portables, and the Headroom ones I've heard. You'll want to expand this list, especially after the National Meet, where many others will have a chance to weigh in.

I have not heard this amp but I think you may be right. I have a small microphone tube pre amp about the size of a portable CD player for my singing and this unit is so impressive. Small tube amps could be the next best for the future, sound quality wise.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also forgot to add in - Skylab did a comparison of a number of portable amps. A quick search will find the post.

Yeah, i have read that. Was a real nice review!! That is also why my eye fell on the Larocco (besides the look of it
icon10.gif
)

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #38 of 55
I noticed older versions of Porta Corda & HeadAmps AE.

And what, no Micro Amp?-actually I have a hard time considering it a truly portable amp due to its large size and short battery life.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #39 of 55
I using my Porta Corda with my laptop a lot and I mainly bought it because it has the possibility of hooking it up with a USB-cable. If you are planning on using your amp with a computer than I can highly recommend a USB-DAC like the Porta Corda ( or total bithead or headphonia if you still dare to buy it ) And there are many more. They shouldn't be too hard to find.

I voted Larocco in this poll because I think it has the best SQ of all the amps listed. I think it would be very optimistic to call it a portable though.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are planning on using your amp with a computer than I can highly recommend a USB-DAC like the Porta Corda

Yes! I bought the Porta Corda MkIII-USB strictly for this purpose and have no regrets. It also does a commendable job with its analog input.

I didn't vote yet but I agree that while the Larocco gets nothing but high marks it's too big to be considered truly portable as most would use Velcro'd to a DAP.

From the list I would think the Hornet (M) will be most popular. From my limited experience with 5 portable amps I give my AE-2 top of the list status.

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #45 of 55
As far as the best portable amp, I vote for the Tomahawk. With it's diminutive size, great sound quality and fantastic battery life, it has a permanent place in my travel bag with my ipod and e500s.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back