What would you tell your friends?
Nov 3, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #46 of 64
Okay, here's how it's going to work:

Friend: Why do you spend like hundreds of dollars on the audio crap?
Me: Why do you spend like hundred of dollars on food?
Friend: Cause I need it to live.
Me: So do I.

That made him shut up.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Okay, here's how it's going to work:

Friend: Why do you spend like hundreds of dollars on the audio crap?
Me: Why do you spend like hundred of dollars on food?
Friend: Cause I need it to live.
Me: So do I.

Do you not need food as well? I heard college can do some pretty out-of-the-ordinary things to a man, but not needing any source of subsistence past a good pair of headphones is a trick if I ever saw one...

One thing I never got... All those people who spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on like really good pots... Like nice coppers ones or something. I mean, do they not oxidize as fast as stainless or something? Do they cook your food that much faster? Are they just prettier? I just can't figure out what goes through some one's head when they're purchasing a $2000 pot collection. Honestly...

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymadness
Since then Ive bought a $3000 watch. Think I told him? Yeah right.

I am a very open minded person but that is nuts, unless you are just showing people that you have a lot of money. Even $500 is batty.

May I ask, for what reason?

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #50 of 64
I won't say anything about it, I will tell them that it's $50 dollars as well. Why bother telling them when they have no clue what it is? I see spending money on headphones as a personal enjoyment, it is out of my control that others does not see the same way.

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #51 of 64
My friends think I'm working for Koss, I basically bug them until they buy some KSC75's and then its' "sorry about your wallet" from there. I have about 10 sold so far. They never wonder anymore why I'm obsessive about phones.

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangsta
I'm in middle school, and its quite hard trying to tell your friends you spent $1800 on a headphone system. (partially because middle school kids think $100 is a huge amount of money)
biggrin.gif
. head-fi made a huge hole in my wallet :[

Your in middleschool and you have that much money?

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
I am a very open minded person but that is nuts, unless you are just showing people that you have a lot of money. Even $500 is batty.

May I ask, for what reason?

Also in answer to vYu223's question:

I worked my butt off for four years taking no more than a day or 2 off a month at the most. At the end of it all I decided to reward myself for the effort I made. But don't think it was an impulse buy. I had wanted the watch for approx. 3 years and had shopped around to get the best possible price I could.

I don't go around flashing the watch to show off. In fact, I often conceal it under a sleeve. If I get mugged that'll suck, but its covered under my residential insurance. I feel proud wearing it cause to me it represents the work I put into being able to afford it. I strived toward a goal, achieved it, and rewarded myself (which I rarely do).

I doubt its any more accurate than a timex or casio. To me it looks beautiful. Everytime I look at it I feel happy. Materialistic? Yes.

The only bad thing is when a friend complains about not having money or when I'm walking down the street and see a bunch of homeless people it makes me wonder what they could do with the money if I sold it.

Look at this link if you haven't already:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=watch

Many in this thread have spent several times more money on watches than I have or ever will.

Plus I dont have a car, a home or kids. 3 things which suck your wallet dry!

Nov 3, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #54 of 64
My madness extended even further. I once parted with over $10,000 for a watch
blink.gif
I later sold it to help finance a nice NAIM/LINN/Roksan hi-fi setup. And no, I wasn't making a lot of money back then. I had tastes well beyond my means and a headstrong financial recklessness which got me into trouble more than once.

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #55 of 64
nsjong, il tell you why i would waste 40 bux on a tshirt. ITS MORE CUMFI
biggrin.gif

well my friends are no audiophiles by any stretch but they said "COOL!" when i said that a valve amp had arrived in the mail. They understand what the quest for good sound is even though they dont have the first clue how to get on the road.

i was on their boat when i started but then i went onto the headroom website and got an immediate education. their website directed me to headfi and thats how i discovered it. Now there is no turning back and my ears are WAAAAAY better than they were before.

The senn hd437 that one of my close friends own is the most muddy non earbud headphones that i have ever heard but he enjoys them. he simply does not truly know any better in terms of headphones. most of my friends have heard my dads quad ESLs but its not the same as high end headphones.

On the other hand my brother's friends freaked when they heard that i actually spent more then 20 aud on headphones. they do listen to music but i have to say bad music and nothing but ibuds.

i pratically gave my brother my px100 and he likes it. his opinion on audio is that if you pay more you will get better sound and if you think its worth it thats just great but i dont see why you need to spend THAAT much money on headphones.

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #56 of 64
two other things.

one of my old friends only likes headphones if they are not just bassy but bassy to the maxxx. HE THINKS THAT THE HD580 HAS WEAK BASS!!!!!!!! he prefers the 485. i said to him that the 485 just sounds dizzy thick and blurred in comparison but yer he thinks that the only thing that matters about sound is big boomy bass.

i also reccomended grado to the girlfriend of one of my friends
very_evil_smiley.gif
she trusts me but i dont think in reality she will go all the way to melbourne just for headphones. maybe some persuasion would work
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #57 of 64
Ten thousand for a watch is cool! Twenty thousand is cool too!! What I have a problem with is twenty thousand for a wedding! I mean, the next morning it's all over but the headache and upset tummy and depleted bank account for the Brides parents!!

All that just to have a gal be a "princess" for just one evening?!!

Sheesh!!

Just thinking of the cans and amps and source devices I could have had if I hadn't had to have married off my daughters.
frown.gif

....they have good memories, of course. But the marriages didn't work! They both re-married later! Arrrrrrgh!!

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
I just can't figure out what goes through some one's head when they're purchasing a $2000 pot collection. Honestly...

Because thats EASILY the most significant and noticeable upgrade to any audio system.

oh, you meant cooking?!?

nevermind.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #59 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
I would just say:

Why would you waste $200 on clothes?

Samething.

Because they're super-comfy, last forever and look damn good.
cool.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I don't bother telling them how much they cost me.

Same here. I do give them a demonstration though and they are impressed. "It sounds real." I like these comments.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back