What would you recommend for a headphone switch / splitter ?
May 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tbger99

Head-Fier
Looking to get a device connected to my amplifier, that would be able to switch between at least 2 headphone outputs.

So that the chain would be-  Source > DAC > Amplifier > Switchbox > 2 pairs of Headphones

I've read about Mapletree LR 1 but wasn't able to find one new or 2nd hand.  So I'm wondering if there's anything else out there, of good quality, that would do the job at minimum to very little 'damage' to the signal.

Assuming it's a possible mission... or maybe it isn't (power, impedance, other) ?   Looking forward to your advice / opinions.

Thank you

May 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 12
I haven't been able to find any relevant info around so I hope it's also useful to other readers doing the same search like me.

I just found a nice one from Sescom:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750966-REG/Sescom_SES_1_4_AB_FS_SES_1_4_AB_FS_Balanced_Audio_1_4.html

I'll post some input when I have the unit.

Any experienced opinions welcome of course.  (Or: what else would you use for A/B-ing ?)

Cheers

May 21, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 12
One thing I worry about is these units might add hum or buzz noise which would make the whole A/B-ing thing pointless.  Anyone with experience on these please post and tell me your opinions.

Thanks 
smile.gif

May 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 12
I use a phonopreamps TC716 (http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc716pp.html) for A/B testing and it works like a charm. The unit itself is nice and solid, and the switches have a satisfying click to them, unlike cheaper plastic switches you see in lower quality gear. I like how you can turn each port on and off, makes testing very easy. I was originally worried about crosstalk from all the connections but I didn't notice anything.

May 27, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Aflac, thanks for your input; the RCA jacks are kind of a deal breaker for me.  Do you use it for A/Bing of headphones or sources ?

Cheers

It can be used for both. Most recently I tested the uDAC2 vs the MusicStreamer II in which the switch allowed for a totally seamless transition in switching sources. It's not nearly as easy testing headphones since you still have to take them off and on, so unplugging/plugging can be done by a friend when removing headphones.

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 12
After I've used these units for a while, I think it's time to post a picture and to speak a few words about them.

The entire box is made of plastic, except the upper plate which is metal.  Very light weight though I wouldn't worry about its durability.  Connectors are Neutrik and are very stiff, the switch is pretty basic and tough, and in my opinion is better than the 'footswitch' which in my experience is prone to fail at some point of time.

Does its job well for A/Bing, remember you cannot use both outputs at the same time.  It's just a switch, not a splitter.

Hope these impressions could help others in the future as well. :)

P.S. the bigger unit does have XLR connections only; the other Sescom foot switch isn't intended for A/Bing (it outputs to two mono's), hence I didn't buy it in the first place.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 12
I thought I should also post this:  to anyone who wanted to know how these right angled XLR plugs look inside:

(rotated ~60° clockwise)

Couldn't find a picture myself before buying.  It's nice, and fits my need here, yet it doesn't feel 'stable' and secure as the regular ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back