What would you like to see more of in headphones?
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 21
This is pretty similar to your comment but I'd like to see semi-open headphones stopped being advertised as "portable." Portable to me means blocking outside noise and keeping music in...I'd definitely agree with some more quality closed headphones.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 21
i want to see more flagships like all the old ones.

i want to see orpheus 2, r11, k2000, and maybe even qualia 010 - rev 1.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 21
Heya,

My first reaction to the title: "Need more closed headphones."

I like headphones because they're private, isolated, and block out noise. Open headphones don't do that. I live in a world full of noise. House noise. Fan noise. Whatever. I like closed headphones more than open headphones because you can block it all out for the most part and just have the music and nothing else. But it's very hard to get higher end headphones that are excellent and closed back. I don't need 100% isolation. But better than open-air isolation. Currently Denon & AudioTechnica really offer the "high end closed back" headphone market something. No one else really offers that. Everyone else offers open-air. Sure, there's likely some high end closed backs out there that I'm obvious to (some old high end sony's? some other vintage things? I'm sure there's other high end closed backs, but lately, the big flags from dynamics to orthos are open air).

I'd love to have a closed HE-500.

Very best,

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 21
Headphones not priced as status symbols.

Manufacturers should be lowering prices to get customers and compete on value, not raising prices to make them more prestigious.

As for the limited edition rarities, I'm not sure they're worth it. Try finding a replacement driver for a R10 or K-1000.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
Heya,

I like headphones because they're private, isolated, and block out noise. Open headphones don't do that. I live in a world full of noise. House noise. Fan noise. Whatever. I like closed headphones more than open headphones because you can block it all out for the most part and just have the music and nothing else. But it's very hard to get higher end headphones that are excellent and closed back. I don't need 100% isolation. But better than open-air isolation. Currently Denon & AudioTechnica really offer the "high end closed back" headphone market something. No one else really offers that. Everyone else offers open-air. Sure, there's likely some high end closed backs out there that I'm obvious to (some old high end sony's? some other vintage things? I'm sure there's other high end closed backs, but lately, the big flags from dynamics to orthos are open air).

Very best,

Simply save up for a Sony R10 Malveaux 
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Heya,

Very best,

My first reaction to the title would be " need more open headphones " because I live in a peaceful city where noise is very minimal. It's probably better if open headphones can be had for under the high price points they currently at.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 21
The next step in sound-stage for headphone man beyond the HD800.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 21
As previously somewhat mentioned in the thread, in relation to flagships, there is one thing I love seeing in headphones. One thing we need a bit more of this day and age.
Absolute ludicracy! 
This has been the base for some of the headphone models I admire the most.
Think Orpheus, when Sennheiser made electrostats, or K1000, when AKG did the same.
Think K340, when AKG combined electrets and dynamics. Or the Sextetts.

It is lovely that electrostats are alive and well, but I would love to see big name brands try more things like this.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 21
I want a bit of variation and eccentric qualities. Things that really set a headphone apart and make it a new listening experience. I mean things like dual drivers, open/closed convertible cans, noise cancelling tech in open cans, something off the wall that still works and sounds good.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Headphones that allow you to feel "speaker bass impact," better PRaT, better construction. My kids destroy grados :frowning2:

This too. I want headphones built like a freakin tank but still decently light. I'm afraid my grados will break.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #15 of 21
Inline with wanting closed models, I would like to see Sony re-release their CD series: CD770-CD3000. They're closed, have excellent soundstage and bass impact, and don't seem to suffer from the same reverberation and tin-can issues like some of the popular closed cans on the market today.

That and I agree with Uncle Erik, lower priced flagships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back