What would you gift your girlfriend?
Dec 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #76 of 104
Quote:
Gf's Modded Monoprices are in the works! 

Will keep you guys posted 

Damn that's looking good ahah. Mine really isn't a fan of pink though :p I really considered the Monoprice but she would probably find them too bulky. I am probably going to end up with something the likes of a MDR-V6, or less bulky than that. Thing is, she wants full size, over ear closed cans, but doesn't want bulk. That's kinda hard

Quote:
girlfriend wanted something that did not need an amp, was closed, easy to use on the go. Gave her my m50s. 

Well, lucky girlfriend she is :p

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #77 of 104
Quote:
Damn that's looking good ahah. Mine really isn't a fan of pink though :p I really considered the Monoprice but she would probably find them too bulky. I am probably going to end up with something the likes of a MDR-V6, or less bulky than that. Thing is, she wants full size, over ear closed cans, but doesn't want bulk. That's kinda hard

Well, lucky girlfriend she is :p

That coiled cable is annoying while walking around.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #78 of 104
Sorry for disappearing, I've been trying to re-hack my computer to put a fresh install of OS X on a new harddrive. Thing is driving me crazy. I've also reinvigorated my rate of applying for jobs, so that's good. Honestly, with things breaking and nobody wanting to take advantage of the skills I've built up, this time feels like the Great Depression where I'd be happy to just get a job as a janitor at this point :/

Closed + full sized + compact sized = asking for something really challenging. I personally accepted a while back that if I want the high quality, spacious sound of a full-sized headphone, certain compromises would have to be accepted. The V-MODA Crossfades were the least bulky full-sized closed cans I had encountered in person, and even they weren't "fully" circumaural for my ears, pinning them down a bit.

I dunno man, nothing really new to say, just wanted to check back in and see if you've made progress.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #79 of 104
@Evshrug
Keep it up man, I'll be joining the market in a few years myself... I can already start to feel you.
And yes, people do have a hard time accepting they have to compromise sometimes. They can get so picky.
I can't really give an update. I've lost steam on this little project since I get such mixed feelings. She doesn't help me out at all (and I for sure know it doesn't mean she wants a complete surprise, because she's so picky), but she keeps borrowing either of mine. Oh well. Now my brother is in Portugal and my only chance is with his wife in a week's time, but she's already bringing me an E10, didn't want to push it.
Quote:
That coiled cable is annoying while walking around.

I actually have one and I love it. It stretches effortlessly and for carrying, I just bundle it and tuck it inside my jacket pocket, works great.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #81 of 104
Mate, if your girlfriend doesn't fully appreciate good earphones/headphones, it's not a very good idea to give her one. What did she like? What is she involved in? Her hobbies? Give her gifts that she'll use and enjoy!

p.s. Your girlfriend is nodding at my statement. 
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #84 of 104
@nkip
Haha she wouldn't be able to since I haven't shown her the thread :p also, thing is. She does appreciate good headphones. Right now she is in front of me wearing my pair of Sennheisers (let's not get into what good headphones are; for her anything above stock applepods tend to be great). She constantly wears one of my pairs. She really loves them when against her own, but I'm guessing she's just comfortable in the thought of forever borrowing mine :)

@Doc
That is way too true. Most people I know wouldn't care for anything other than getting sound out of a pair of headphones, and it's only when they hear what they're missing out on, only when they realize music, which is already good, could be such a greater experience, do they wake up and consider it. (I talk as though I have huge experience. I don't, but it's enough to realize that difference :p)

-------

In the end, I'm still torn. Either get her a pair of headphones I think would suit her, since she does want it, or not for fear she'll go "meh... too bulky / dark / colorful / fashiony / hightech / whatever". As Evshrug said: she doesn't have much concept of compromising. I'll have to make a decision very soon though ^^

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #88 of 104
Forget VS. Give her the white JVC's and then tell her to wear this......... only this... :D

Edit: In all honesty. Get her something different. Later down the line when you are willing to spend more money on her (gawd I hope she doesn't ever see this thread) get her some M80's. They are pretty much the ideal balance of fashion and sound for a lady IMO.

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #89 of 104
Damn with that wording I too wish she doesn't xD it's not that I wouldn't spend more on her, even though we're both students and money is pretty short, it's just that I don't think it makes any sense to gift super high-end gear to someone who's been wearing the earphones that come with their players their whole life. For one it might be totally wasted if it makes no difference to them, for two I feel like it'd kind of spoil one's "audio journey".

However, what do you mean "VS"? Not sure I follow, but just about any set of headphones is new to her, she isn't acquainted with anything, so I didn't exactly understand "different".

Anyways I didn't think she'd like white and she was quite reassuring about that :p she's more of a usual dark/gray shading, and a bit of colour, especially darker, warmer tones, is also okay (such as the Uptowns). Looks matter but not that much, that was just me trying to get her something she'll also like to look at. I'm mainly looking at comfort, then durability, and then SQ (since she's definitely not weird when it comes to the sound), and obviously value.

I think any of my current options fulfill that, just a matter of getting the occasional opinions and making my mind up now!

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #90 of 104
Okay re-read my post substituting VS with "victoria's secret" in your mind and you will get the joke.......

I understand if you are on a budget. The uptown is a really good choice while it is still in stock at Ben's. But like I said the M80 is nice looking, comfortable, comes in several colors and is far from "high end" so she has plenty of journey ahead of her and you won't be spoiling anything.

From your description (grey being a color she likes) if you happen to stumble upon some riches between now and Xmas..... the DT1350 unfortunately would be the perfect phone. My number one portable.

Good luck. Don't worry too much. She is going to be really impressed if she is used to stock buds if she really likes music. The only people I really see who don't get much out of upgrading from stock buds are people who honestly don't enjoy actual music. They may be into what is popular for the sake of popularity or only listen to the words but if she is a music fan you can't go wrong with getting her something that sounds decent. That just IMO. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back