What Would YOU do?
Nov 14, 2006 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chouman

100+ Head-Fier
Hey! I'm considering upgrading my amp. I currently use a Headroom Microstack with my Cardas-cabled HD600, which I do enjoy tremendously but would also like to check out some other amps.

Some I've been considering to pair up with the Micro Dac are:

1) X-Can v3 with Pink Floyd Mods

2) Ray Samuels SR-71

3) Xin Supermicro IV

I think what I'm looking for is a bit more punch and detail to my music. I haven't tried tubes before and they look quite appealing.

I'd like to stay around 350 or below.
Thanks!

Music preferences vary but I tend to listen to more rock/pop than jazz/classical.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman
Hey! I'm considering upgrading my amp. I currently use a Headroom Microstack with my Cardas-cabled HD600, which I do enjoy tremendously but would also like to check out some other amps.

Some I've been considering to pair up with the Micro Dac are:

1) X-Can v3 with Pink Floyd Mods

2) Ray Samuels SR-71

3) Xin Supermicro IV

I think what I'm looking for is a bit more punch and detail to my music. I haven't tried tubes before and they look quite appealing.

I'd like to stay around 350 or below.
Thanks!

Music preferences vary but I tend to listen to more rock/pop than jazz/classical.

Out of the three on your list, the X-CanV3 is by far the best amp!

A fully modded V3 is very hard to beat for < $1000.(IMO).
icon10.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 7
You say a modded XCan? I see in your signature that you mod them. What changes make the biggest difference?

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balisarda
You say a modded XCan? I see in your signature that you mod them. What changes make the biggest difference?

Faster caps and diodes. MF uses $.05 caps and $.01 diodes, this is the weakest link in the V3, I and others (like http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/v3upgradekit.html ) have found that installing high grade parts transforms the X-Can into a top performing amp.

icon10.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 7
X-cans without a doubt!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back