What would YOU do with (guilt free) $15,000?
Feb 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

jimbob747

100+ Head-Fier
I'm financially stable and have no real concerns for the future, I have been told if I go back to University will be given £10,000 as a reward along with all the usual bumpf.

I'm a single man who's too 'self involved' (however you wish to put it) to put this kind of money towards a charity or any real 'noble' cause. Chances are it's going to go towards a source upgrade for a Mid-Fi speaker system rather than any serious upgrades to a headphone set-up but a few friends of mine played the 'What would I do' game leading to some really interesting results.

So that's it, just a little discussion (I'm sure this has been done many times before but it obviously changes as new products come onto the market). What would true headphone enthusiasts do with this money? Be it a few simple upgrades to their own system or the chance to recommend a whole system.

I'm going to come straight out with the classic end game system for me (and a lot of people I know):
Stax SR-007 MK1
Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning (Still haven't heard anything better - would love recommendations)
(A lot left over for the source, which will be updated once I've decided what I'm getting)

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 49
I thought the STAX 009 paired with the Blue Hawaii SE sounds easily better in that it is easier to listen to than the setup you list.  I was able to test them side by side.  The 009 and BHSE sounded more laid back, smoother, and less immediately harsh than the 007 and Cavalli we had setup.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 49
I still haven't managed to listen to the Blue Hawaii, though I have always heard very good things. As to the old Sr-007 MKI vs MKII vs SR-009... For me it falls to personal preference, I think the idea (and some people will hate me for this) of audiophilia has been left way back at the $1000 mark or below... The improvement is generally a choice of clarity or tonal balance and I personally prefer the voicing of the MKI but this is why it's falling down to what YOU would do with the money!

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 49
Stax SR-009 with a Blue Hawaii and an Audeze LCD-3 with a Cavalli Liquid Fire. As for a DAC. Not sure..

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 49
$15.000? $13.000 in the bank - and the rest on head-fi. That´s that´s just me I guess. The rest of the crazy bunch herein would play different.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 49
Ahhh, everyone is playing it safe?

Is this Head-Fi?

A high end audio forum and people are saying they'd save the money...

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #14 of 49
Just go ahead and buy the best source.
I did the same when I had that kind of extra cash around and haven't regretted since.
The Esoteric K01 is highly recommended

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:
Just go ahead and buy the best source.
I did the same when I had that kind of extra cash around and haven't regretted since.
The Esoteric K01 is highly recommended

x2. I've found that upgrading sources most consistently produced improvements, and took my gear up to a higher level. Whereas, with amps and headphones, you can more often go sideways and get something merely different rather than better.

Once you have decent headphones and amps, make sure you get a solid high-end source.

There are different schools of thought ofcourse, but this is my opinion and from my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back