What would YOU do Next??
Jan 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mindblock

New Head-Fier
My current portable system is:

120G iPod Classic (moving to Apple Lossless files from a mixture of compression rates) -> iBasso LOD and CB01 Interconnect -> RSA P51 Mustang -> Triple.Fi 10 Pro (comply tips) or Etymotic 4p (with P-S cable)

I am a LONG time audiophile with what I consider to be a reasonably good home system (Exemplar CD or Basis Turntable with Dynavector Karat cartridge, through Belles pre amp and amps, into Vandersteen speakers) which I really enjoy, but I must confess that I am having more fun with music than I have in a LONG time with this portable rig…..the details I am hearing through the Etys never cease to amaze me, and the Triple.Fi’s mid has warmed considerably as the P51 Mustang has burned in over the past few weeks…..they are performing very well on rock and amplified jazz with a sound I would describe as quite musical…..nice full bass with good “pop” mids that have warmed considerably but are far from sounding “tubby” and a precise but never sibilant high end and a reasonably broad and accurate soundstage.

I have dumped most of my old 128k files as they provide little enjoyment at this point, and am re-ripping my CD collection.

UNFORTUNATLEY, I have contracted that age old scourge, “audiophile wanderlust” and I am looking for how far I can take this and logical next steps.

(1) I have no experience with full size cans since my old Pro 4AA’s in the 1970’s. Is it logical to get into some full size cans at this point? I see a great deal of “discussion” over whether the RSA P51 will drive them satisfactorily…..given the fact that I like the sound of the Triple.Fi 10’s and Ety ER4S’s where should I start with full size cans that can be driven by the RSA P-51 Mustang (IF they exist)??

(2) Should I forget about the full size cans altogether and simply pop for some UE customs? The UE11’s are interresting, even after wading through the 150 page "initial impressions" thread.....

(3) Thanks for any and all input from all of you who have heard both and can help define the differences in sonic performance, and where you would go if you were like the US Congress, spending my money for me!!

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Bump.....

Any ideas??

I have read that my P-51 Mustang delivers higher current that other RSA amps, but can it drive full sized cans?

UE11's have had rave reviews.....what differences am I likely to hear between them and say K701's through the P-51 mustang?

Which way would you go??

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 5
How about swapping your preamp for one of the headphone amps that doubles as a preamp? I think a few of the Woo amps have pre out as does the Zana - one of the best preamps I've heard. Pair that with the full-sized cans of your choice (or several pairs
very_evil_smiley.gif
) and you'll have a great setup.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 5
You could have a look at sleek customs, $300 and meant to match the ue 11 very closely, quite easy to drive as well seeing as they're a single driver.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks, Uncle Erik.....I had not considered swapping out the preamp on my main system.

I am still looking for a good portable option for on airplanes (closed or IEM) as well as traveling with me to the office (could be open, closed, or IEM there.

With all of this "thinking" I remembered my old set of STAX SR-40's with the SRD-4 adapter from the late 1970's.....I know they are packed away in their original box somewhere around here and I think I will give them a nostalgic listen just for giggles.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back