What would you change to improve my setup?
Jun 7, 2020 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Miraboy

New Head-Fier
Whilst I'm in no way unhappy with my set up, well, you all know how it is...

I've been away from this world for a few years so would really appreciate some opinions on what component you would change to improve my set up.

I run a PC via Kimber Ag Silver USB into and HRT Streamer II DAC. This feeds via Van den HUl DC102 (must be 30 years old) RCA to M-Stage Matrix headphone amp. I run Oppo PM-3 and Hifi Man 400i (depending on genre and if anyone's in the house to make noise!).

I'd run to no more than 200GBP for a component and am happy with used.

Be grateful for any reasoned suggestions.

I mainly use Tidal Masters. All genres of music.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 5
I like your setup so I suggest buying more hi-fi tunes. Your gear is pretty sweet, but if you have to upgrade something I would start with the headphones.

In that price point something like the Philips Fidelity X2 May work. Not really an upgrade as I think it will difficult to improve your setup for 200 quid. The sound signature might be enough of a change to get up what you’re looking for.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 5
I like your setup so I suggest buying more hi-fi tunes. Your gear is pretty sweet, but if you have to upgrade something I would start with the headphones.

In that price point something like the Philips Fidelity X2 May work. Not really an upgrade as I think it will difficult to improve your setup for 200 quid. The sound signature might be enough of a change to get up what you’re looking for.
I agree with above. New HPs would bring about the most change/variety, not necessarily an actual “upgrade”. Others to consider would be the Drop Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee or the Sennheiser HD6XX if you don‘t mind purchasing from Drop. The 6XX is equivalent to the HD650, and has a very well known sound signature. It‘s particularly amazing for vocals. Others HPs in that price range include the Beyerdynamic DT770 (closed back) and DT990 (open back). Also, there’s the Drop AKG 7XX and the Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir closed back. Just a few options to consider. You’ll find a lot of information on all of the listed HPs, and probably can find them used.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Headphones are almost always the first step in a upgrade in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back