What would you buy?
Oct 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TeeJayHoo

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone I am looking a for some IEMs. My price range is between $30-$80 (no higher than $100). I listen to mostly rock, country and some pop. I my asking that you list your favorite IEMs for that price range and why you like them. I have pretty much used ipod buds for most of my listening and I want something with good SQ and build quality. 

Thanks in advance! 

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 10
If you haven't already, I'd suggest you look at this thread first.  Also, I bought the Panasonic HJE900's today for $80.  I don't have the item yet so I really can't comment on the sound or build quality yet, but from what I read these phones are worth considering.   Not sure about for country though. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for your post! I have read that thread and I have been really considering the HJE900's I just trying to get a feel for whats out there and what people are using. I have read a bunch of reviews I just want to make the right choice since it is a decent amount of money I don't want to just throw it away.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 10
Picking headphones can be a bit tricky sometimes so you're doing the right thing seeing what's out there. Ultimate Ears earphones are pretty good for rock music IMO as they have a nice raw quality. Denon make some decent, balanced sounding in-ear earphones too so they may be worth taking a quick peek at.

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 10
I really like the look of UE they seem a little out of my price range is there a specific model of UE you recommend? Anyone else have some thoughts? Or just list your favorite IEM's you have and why you like them. Thanks!

TJ

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Ultimate ears doesn't really have a house sound -  all of their earphones sound different. Their two dual-drivers, for example - the UE5Pro and the UE700 - couldn't be more different from each other. Recommending "UE" is pretty useless without a specific model. I do think the TF10 sounds good for rock but it's out of the OP's price range. 

Personally I think the HJE900 is the best buy in the price range (and the build quality is second to none) but for other options I'd look at the ViSang R03/Brainwavz M2 and Thinksound TS02. All three are fairly conventional-sounding earphones (bass not excessive but also not overly analytical, not lacking in any particular area, etc etc)

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Just wanted to say thanks Joker. Your review on the Brainwavz M1 swayed me looks like a great bargain I cant wait to hear them
smily_headphones1.gif
On your comparison it says you prefer the Stock biflanges but online it looks like they only come with the single flange. Are the stock M1 tips good or should I look at upgrading to something else thanks!

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Ah, good catch. I must've copy-pasted that from the ViSang R02 write-up. I meant 'generic bi-flanges'. Stock tips are fine - I just prefer biflanges since they give a deeper seal without having to cram the housing into my ear canal. I would definitely try the stock tips first and only look into other options if you think they need improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back