what would make the biggest improvement for me?
Jan 19, 2007 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

emericanchaos

100+ Head-Fier
sorry to put this here, it's more of a general question.

currently i'm running my onboard sound (Realtek on board sound. 86db SNR, fairly decent distortion yadda yadda) to a set of logitech 2.1 speakers and using my DT990's from the jack on those.

now my planned upgrades are an external M-Audio sound adapter and a lunchbox amp. of the two where would i see the most improvement?

datasheet on my source adapter
realtekalc850dsmi0.jpg

i run it at 24bit/96khz

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? Your card plays back 16/48 right?

yeah but since you're working in multiples of 8 24 should be fine, same with sample rate. 96 is just double of 48. basically i'm just upsampling to DVD figures.

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah but since you're working in multiples of 8 24 should be fine, same with sample rate. 96 is just double of 48. basically i'm just upsampling to DVD figures.

Are you sure it's upsampling? Sometimes, that's just a setting so it'll play 24bit/96kHz files if you have them. If it doesn't specifically mention it, it probably doesn't. You might want to poke around the Internet for some CD24 files; it will be able to play those at maximum resolution.

Anyhow, your next purchase should be an amp. It'll make more of a difference than a new source without an amp.

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure it's upsampling? Sometimes, that's just a setting so it'll play 24bit/96kHz files if you have them. If it doesn't specifically mention it, it probably doesn't. You might want to poke around the Internet for some CD24 files; it will be able to play those at maximum resolution.

Anyhow, your next purchase should be an amp. It'll make more of a difference than a new source without an amp.

as far as the upsampling bit goes, i'm using a plugin for foobar. drivers are set to 24/96 and i have foobar's DSP set to 24/96 as well.
confused.gif

what is cd24?

thanks for the upgrade advice, i'll be going with either the laconic lunchbox amp or the little dot. most likely the lunchbox as it's been vouched for on these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back