What would make an IEM go whoom instead of BOOM?
Jan 27, 2011 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
Would this lack of punch or bass impact be a result of all mid-bass with no sub-bass or the opposite, or would it be caused by something else like a lower mid-range deficiency? I am trying to determine what would cause this type of behavior in an IEM. The pair I am testings/own seems to go pretty low sonically as low as 15hz but their is just no punch in them at all with bass almost sounding hollow if that makes sense. it's like they have no resolution or form when it comes to bass especially drums or percussion. Instruments like bass guitar are not as bad but even they lack resolution. The issue is slightly better when using an amp versus straight from my iPhone but it is never great. The headphones are still new so I continue to burn them in, in the hopes this will improve. The funny thing is the mid-range is not bad nor the treble, just the bass.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 7
Balanced armature-based IEMs tend not to move as much air as dynamic drivers do, causing a perceived lack of bass. You may also be having seal issues

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 7
I hear you about BA versus dynamic. In this case I am testing a dynamic IEM and I am getting a good seal. I played around with the EQ to see if I could improve the bass to help determine where it's deficiency are and it may be a lack of midbass but to be honest I wasn't able to completely fix the issue that way. I am thinking the driver may simply be slower in the bass end  causing it to be a bit less precise and tight. I have thrown the IEM on my PC and am leaving it burning in with my music and burnin file mix and will let it run for the next 4 days straight and see if that changes the bass any as these just may need more break in. In the meantime I will use my SM3 so when I listen to the IEM in question again I will have allowed my ears and brain to be attuned to a different signature to ensure I am not being subjected to head burnin upon a relisten.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 7
another 50hrs of burnIn should ensure the headphone is pretty close to it's final signature. But yes I think it will just be the nature of this IEM. Actually if tightens up just a bit more it will be pretty close to what I was hoping for too :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 7
OK being the nosy type I had to have a listen after leaving my IEM's play since last night (about 20hrs) and these have started to tighten up quite a bit and actually change in the treble as well so I think I just need to continue to let them cook but I am really starting to like what I hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back