what would be a great portable phones and source combo for $350?
Jan 30, 2009 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

what?

100+ Head-Fier
no amp wanted,

new or used.

id like a killer 'SQ' portable set up.

modest volume required, best sq desired.

yes i know for $1600 with all sorts of additional items things can be much better.

but what would be a 'killer' portable rig.

just headphones (full iem or bud) and source $350 ish......

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 6
Get the best pair of Grados you can afford and run them straight out of an iPod of your choice. Be sure to consider either used; you can save a lot of money. I think I've seen a used RS-2 going around $350 here recently, so if you already have an iPod, that would knock your socks off.

I only use IEMs when I need isolation. Otherwise, I run a RS-1 right out of my iPod. No amp, no magic cables, nothing else. It's not as good as running them off a good tube amp, but I always enjoy it and don't see any point in buying anything else.

So go get the Grados you want and jack them into your DAP. I think you'd be happy jus like that.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by eb3604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
phonak pfe and cowon s9

this

or pick a sony + ety ER 4, ety phones have great lineups with sony player's slight accentuation on bass (or so I notice)

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 6
I vote for the phonak + s9 combo.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this

or pick a sony + ety ER 4, ety phones have great lineups with sony player's slight accentuation on bass (or so I notice)

I agree with this. My wife is using an 8GB Walkman that I was quite jealous of until I got my iPhone. The Sony made me realize how much a difference there is between the newer technologies and the old (I was still using an old iPod Photo, I guess that's a generation 3 iPod and felt it pretty much required an amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back