What works or doesn't in Windows 7
Jan 14, 2009 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ricey20

1000+ Head-Fier
I didn't see any threads about Windows 7 so thought I'd start one. We can focus on audio software and hardware but I thought it would be helpful for others to post other stuff that works or doesn't too, if you want to of course. So far I'm really liking 7, everything installed smoothly and it seems to be much faster and stable than Vista. Not sure if they changed anything with the audio layer for this OS but I do know WASAPI doesn't work with Foobar but ASIO4ALL does (might just need a update for foobar or the wasapi plugin, dunno). I don't have a soundcard to test with but have heard people could install their X-Fis and such. I also heard from someone that they could play quicktime stuff without actually installing quicktime, haven't tested that one out myself yet. W7 does come with Media Player 12 as well but not quite sure whats added or improved. Ah well here's my list

Works:

Foobar2k (WASAPI doesn't work, ASIO4ALL does)
Firefox
Digsby
Office 2007
Steam
Team Fort 2
Left 4 Dead
World of Warcraft
Warhammer
Runes of Magic
Empirical Audio Off-ramp 3
WinRar
Magic ISO
Adaware
Spybot S&D
Spyware Blaster
ESET Nod32
Logitech Quickcam STX (set driver install to vista compatibility)

Comp Specs:
Gigabyte X48 DQ6
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2ghz stock voltage
8gb G.Skill DDR21000
2xPowerColor 4870 CrossfireX
2TB External RAID1
Raptor X 150gb system drive
2x500gb Storage/Media drive
Lite-on Sata DVDRW
Logitech Quickcam STX
Logitech MX1000 Bluetooth mouse
Razer Lycosa Keyboard

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 13
There's probably no chance that my E-MU 1212m will work.
angry_face.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 13
My Xonar DX works fine, the Control Center thinks it's XP so you don't get to choose # of channels, but other than that it works no problem.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 13
WASAPI exclusive mode doesn't work properly for me. It plays, but when starting a song/resuming playback, it'll do a fast-forward at high speed for about 2 seconds.

ASIO works, but any other program's sounds will cause the music to cut out as long as they have the sound card in use. This is opposite to WinXP where having foobar playing with ASIO will cause any other program's sounds to cut out until I stop/pause playback (which is what I want). I would like it to work the way it did in XP but I don't know how or if it's easily possible.

I was surprised that the Audigy flashed AV-710 has drivers for Vista/7 (32bit). I haven't looked to see if it's supported in 64bit yet.

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 13
Chaintech AV-710 sound card flashed to appear to be an Audigy (they have the same main guts). You don't really gain much from doing so (native ASIO and nicer control panel mainly, I think) and you lose the analog outputs, which I never use. There's more info about it on head-fi, but I think that's pretty much it, unless I'm forgetting something.

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 13
razer soundcard works,
9800GTX+ in SLI
Copperhead mouse
XM-5 amp/dac
D-Link PCI-E Extreme N wireless adapter
Evga 780i

Rocket Dock
Gimp
Winamp
Pidgin
iTunes

I haven't tried everything, but Windows 7 as a Beta has been more receptive than the initial version of Vista. Vista is a lot better now. But I really see a difference in 7, or maybe I really want to see one in 7? Most of the hardware worked witouth installed drivers, I reinstalled Vista drivers to be sure, some of the nVidia drivers said windows 7 in the upper corner when installed. I think the final release should be pretty decent.

I haven't reinstalled the Juli@ yet

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 13
Creative ASIO works in Win 7 x64, doesn't cut out or get scratchy when another piece of audio is introduced.

pink

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Creative ASIO works in Win 7 x64, doesn't cut out or get scratchy when another piece of audio is introduced.

pink

How did you manage install Creative ASIO?
I'm running 32-bit version and installed daniel_k's SB Audigy Support Pack 2.18.0001W7 (01/10/2009) ... no data for Creative ASIO drivers can be found on registry.
Should I install some older driver package (IIRC there were some issues in 2.18.0001 package)?

BTW, E-MU 0404 USB works but the performance is not as good as in XP SP3 system (low latency operation impossible ... though, I have not yet tried by tuning the system by disabling unnecessary processes/services).

jiitee

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you manage install Creative ASIO?
I'm running 32-bit version and installed daniel_k's SB Audigy Support Pack 2.18.0001W7 (01/10/2009) ... no data for Creative ASIO drivers can be found on registry.
Should I install some older driver package (IIRC there were some issues in 2.18.0001 package)?

BTW, E-MU 0404 USB works but the performance is not as good as in XP SP3 system (low latency operation impossible ... though, I have not yet tried by tuning the system by disabling unnecessary processes/services).

jiitee

I am using YouP PaX-Fi drivers that are for Vista x64.

pink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back