What will the end of 2007 say about the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD war?
Nov 29, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #31 of 41
Sony seem to be determined to make BR prevail as the standard. But some people are more confident in Toshiba HD.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get hd over cable and free over the air. Plenty of source available without buying a player.

There is no "clear winner", and anyone who thinks there is should go to Best Buy and see how there are the same number of shelves for both formats. Now go see how many DVD-A discs you can find.

I don't care which wins. Right now I'm annoyed at the war because Disney supports BlueRay, and with two kids under 9 in the house, Disney is a big deal, but we're more than happy watching any movie from an upscaling DVD player.

Some of the DVD transfers are so good that I get confused because the HD menu system isn't working in my HDA2
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Unless you are saying that I can get free HD movies on demand through over the air cable let's stick to apples and apples.

The recent times that I've been in BB I've seen a lot more people buying BD movies. I don't know if it has to do with where I live, my local BB selection of BD and HD titles or what but that has been my observation.

As far as the Disney thing I think that the camps are wise to try and lock down folks like that. Exclusive titles like Halo sells Xbox so it's a smart move to have the kids asking parents for Cars and other new Disney flicks on BD. I thought the Matrix trilogy was a major breath of life into the HD world but right now I think it's anyones game.

Titles that are released on both formats I will buy in BD becasue of what I stated in my original post and due to the way my BD player is connected I can get PCM and TrueHD.

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #33 of 41
I went with HD-DVD because:
1) I already had a xbox360
2) HD-DVD has no region coding
3) Blu-ray "exclusives" are often available in other regions on HD-DVD.
4) Band of Brothers in HD.
eek.gif

Having said that, I will most likely pick up a Blu-ray player sometime next year.

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #34 of 41
I want HD-DVD to win because it's cheaper to get a HD-DVD drive for the pc at the moment, and I have a 360, but I have this feeling BR will win in the end. Sony has learned from the Betamax debacle and won't make the same mistake again and will push all out to make it the the finish line, with the PS3 leading the way.

Or history will in fact repeat itself, I mean Betamax was the better format, as BR are over HD-DVD but VHS still won but it was mainly due to price when the market was flooded with them. Someone need to make a stupidly cheap HD-DVD player for the HD-DVD to have a good chance.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased a Toshiba HD player based on price, about $200 less and a wider selection of HD movies. Also in the back of my mind was Batamax and Mini-disc.

Those were some of the same reasons I bought HD over BD at first but being a movie junkie the desire for more titles got to me. It also seems like a bit of a waste to me if you have invested into a nice HT rig and then split hairs over a few hundred dollars that can open up so many more titles for your HD/HT enjoyment.

People here should certainly understand this
wink.gif
What if we could not listen to a bunch of great music through our favorite headphone rig because of something similar? In comparison we spend $500-$5000 on a headphone rig but then miss out on all this music because of a component that cost a fraction of the sum of the rest of our gear?

Anyways, I'm very happy to own both and just wish that more companies would make dual format players and that the studios would be more consistent in their transfer of PQ and SQ.

Nov 29, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #37 of 41
Nov 29, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm copying this from a thread over at avs -

I don't know how accurate this guy is as a source, but apparently the numbers have been leaked early for the week: 73:27

The high-definition format war tilted even more heavily in favor of Blu-ray Disc despite a rash of inexpensive HD DVD players sold through Wal-Mart and other discount retailers in recent weeks. Nielsen VideoScan data for the week shows 72.6% of high-definition discs purchased by consumers were Blu-ray and just 27.4% were HD DVD.

Blu-Ray's lead fluctuates depending on the week's releases. The differential was especially bad due to the release schedule for Thanksgiving...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Week's Blu-Ray releases
* Badder Santa: The Unrated Version (Buena Vista)
* David Gilmour: Remember That Night (Sony BMG)
* Die Hard (Fox)
* Die Hard 2: Die Harder (Fox)
* Die Hard 3: Die Hard with a Vengeance (Fox)
* The Die Hard Collection (Fox)
* Hairspray (2007) (New Line)
* Live Free or Die Hard (Fox)
* Pathfinder (Fox)
* Rescue Dawn (MGM)
* The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (Buena Vista)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Week's HD-DVD Releases
* Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Opus Arte)
* Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One (Paramount)
* Tremors (Universal)

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blu-Ray's lead fluctuates depending on the week's releases. The differential was especially bad due to the release schedule for Thanksgiving...

Yeah, that's how it goes from week to week; it will be interesting to see how the numbers stack up over the next couple weeks with Bourne out on HD and POTC out on BD.

btw - Walmart has the Sony BDP-S300 for $348 right now with 10 free movies

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #40 of 41
Thinking the dual format Harry Potter mass release on Dec 11 would be a better test for the formats. Mass appeal, simultaneous release, Christmas season... I'm seeing high sales and a good benchmark for the state of the disc format HDV market.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #41 of 41
Again I say just do both. Samsung's soon to be released BD-UP5000 boasts so many wonderful features I cannot resist...even at $800. It will be a post Christmas gift to myself. Christmas is the new TV and digital SLR
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back