What will rock be like tomorrow?
Jun 2, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
punkapella

Yah!

Motto: "The only thing we got in common with a Barber shop is the razors."

Jun 2, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #17 of 27
satanic-techno-square dancing will be the next and final craze in music. After it's introduction, all other music will seem just plain silly and pointless.

"Now take your partner by the horns,
adorn them with a crown of thorns,
see the blood drip from their head,
we'll burn in hell when we are dead."

done in square dance fashion with death vocals to a blood-pulsing techno beat. If that's not the next rage, I don't know what is...

Jun 2, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 27
It's obvious the next thing will be associated to a building... just look at history "house Music" "garage" etc. so it follows that any of the following could be the next big thing:

Heavy Caravan
Acid Greenhouse
Psychedelic Shed
Trance Bungalow
Thrash Trailer
Funky Farmhouse
Grunge Gazebo
Skiffle Tent

The possibilities / permutations are endless........

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
It's obvious the next thing will be associated to a building... just look at history "house Music" "garage" etc. so it follows that any of the following could be the next big thing:

Heavy Caravan
Acid Greenhouse
Psychedelic Shed
Trance Bungalow
Thrash Trailer
Funky Farmhouse
Grunge Gazebo
Skiffle Tent

The possibilities / permutations are endless........

How about gothic mariachi veranda music? Ha there I did it. Goth is in the house! er... veranda
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #20 of 27
Heavy Disco: Scissor Sisters

Country & Reggae: I saw a band called I-Tex several years ago. A bunch of guys in Country Western getup playing Reggae flavored tunes. I kid you not. I don't know what ever happened to them.

Jun 2, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoboomofo
How about gothic mariachi veranda music? Ha there I did it. Goth is in the house! er... veranda
biggrin.gif

You might be onto something there
smily_headphones1.gif
hows about "Goth Veranda" ? or maybe "Goth Gazebo"?
biggrin.gif

EDIT: "Goth Dungeon"

Jun 2, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 27
Goth Dungeon

ooh, sounds dangerous.

oddly enough I think the goth mariachi was done with the Cure's 'The 13th.' I don't think it caught on though.

Wow! I didn't expect the response that this thread got. I put the poll up for yuks, but the accounts of bands that fit the bill are surprising!

"She's too Def for Me" <- That's crazy-ass. It gets me thinking. Mr. Bungle has probably done all of these ideas in single songs, but it's all out there in left field. What will the masses crave? If I think about the retro cycle, we would go back - say 30 years and then rapidly carry on up the history ladder to today. We've done the 60s, 70s, and 80s all in roughly one decade. Some of you guys are saying the early 90s grunge scene will return in some form. I think I could see a return to simple arrangements with lead guitar taking a more prominent but laid back role. We've done the distorted rhythm guitar to death, and maybe it's time for a bit more melody. Don't get me wrong. I like my distorted guitar with music but the jangly pop flavour has been lost over the years. Add some psychedelic atmospherics with indie values, and it would be smashing (pumpkins)!

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #23 of 27
Believe it or not, they cycle has ALMOST come back to the 90's. So expect some retro Grunge groups soon. I josh you not. 80's revival rock is almost over. After after the 90's, the kiddies in 2010 will be doing retro Rap Metal. After that, we will have squeezed the well dry, since no other original music has come out lately, and it doesn't seem like it will in the future either.

The Death of Original Music will happen in our lifetime, folks.

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #24 of 27
I predict that it will either be Heavy Disco or Brucknerian Power-Salsa. That, or more hit-factory recycling of radio-friendly schlock that wasn't especially great the first three or four times. However, in a cruel twist of fate, overt corporate sponsorship will reenter the fray.
Soon, many radio, benzene, and concert promotions companies will form into one massive entertainment combine, Allied Benzene, and the studios will start releasing albums like "Six Carbon Shuffle" by the band Known Carcinogen. Not to miss out, hated rival, National Cyclohexane, will force Highly Flammable to cut the disc "12 Hydrogen Road." Eventually, everything will fall apart and the sound of two rocks being smashed against one another will be the industry's idea of a "crossover hit."

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Believe it or not, they cycle has ALMOST come back to the 90's. So expect some retro Grunge groups soon. I josh you not. 80's revival rock is almost over. After after the 90's, the kiddies in 2010 will be doing retro Rap Metal. After that, we will have squeezed the well dry, since no other original music has come out lately, and it doesn't seem like it will in the future either.

The Death of Original Music will happen in our lifetime, folks.

Whoa! It really took a long time for me to edit that post. I considered your post in my edit above yours. I agree that having the 90s on deck makes sense the way things are going.

I don't think the well will go dry though. Take punk for example. It sounded a lot like recycled Chuck Berry tunes at first, but when I think about Punk and post-punk, I don't think about the 50s at all. New doors are always going to be opened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
one massive entertainment combine

That's a big fear of mine. Big business is so quick to manipulate pop culture these days. Look at the X-Games, fancy commercials disguised as blockbuster films, and Britney Spears (the singer/perfume line/restaurant/reality tv show).

Jun 2, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 27
Look at ClearChannel Communications.
They have the radio stations, the billboards, and the concert promotions. They can control an artist's career ab ovo usque ad mala, so to speak. By the same token, they can control what the public hears and "likes."
It doesn't take too many companies like this or very many mergers until there is only one entertainment company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back