What will rock be like tomorrow?
Jun 2, 2005 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

zoboomofo

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok. Every now and then you can see strong trends emerging when popular music revisits old ideas. A few years back, the retro wheel stopped on psychedelia, then punk. Today, there are many bands name-dropping Joy Division and 80s pop bands. Of course, today's versions aren't just straight copies. There are combinations of influences. So where do we go from here?

Do you have any idea which generation of music will influence the next "it" bands of rock? What will happen to what we call "rock" music of today in a few years' time? Any guesses?

Here are your poll/pole/nougat categories. Let's have some fun!

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 27
Negrodamus predicts the rise of dirty people from Seattle playing sad songs about meloncholy and drugs
biggrin.gif

Seriously, Heavy Disco would be a trip to hear, no pun intended.

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 27
to roadtonowhere08
Hey I've seen that vision! Except they'll be watered down versions with pretty hair and names like Matchbox twenty.
biggrin.gif

This poll needs a nice big ole retro wheel in the style of the Price Is Right Showcase Showdown.

to edipisreks,

thanks. I'm thinking Jay-Z and the Pacemakers.

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:40 AM Post #7 of 27
rolleyes.gif

other

no way will rock ever be so limited as to be one of those choices. in the near future, i'd say indie-rock will become moreso the mainstream (well, hope/pray that is)

i'd be happy if all of these styles became more popular, as the only thing i listen to on the radio is indie and jazz, but i can't think of anything wrong with a whole bunch of new music to listen to
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoboomofo
Hehe.

I'm a little angry that I didn't work the Goth angle into the poll. That would be special.
cool.gif

Goth-Crunk?
600smile.gif

This is an awesome poll.

Industrial soft rock? Hahah. Nine Inch Air Supply?

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #10 of 27
Coutry Goth with Ranchero music influences will get popular around 2015, in part because of the influx of Mexicans moving to the U.S. The trend will have a nemesis of sorts in the Rap Goth Jugaloo scene from the northern states.

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 27
'Acid-gospel' - Pop an E in a stadium full-to-the-brim with fifteen-thousand twenty-something free-market holy-rollers. The beat comes down and you raise your hands and weep for the love of God. Like everybody else. Afterwards, go get another Jesus tatoo.

'Cool-tonk', also called 'Dream-a-billy' - Who would have thought that the next big emergent jazz style would take its roots from Western-swing and its primary influences from Chris Isaac, early Cowboy Junkies and Chet Atkins Grammy-winning eighties instrumentals? George Benson rides the mechanical bull. Brian Ferry in a stetson.

'Polkska' - Dancehall meets the VFW Hall, while The Skatellites share doobage with Franky Yankovic. Now aren't you glad your folks didn't sell Uncle Ernie's accordion on Ebay? "She's too Def for Me" is thirteen with a bullet on Billboard. Watch-out for those scary yeshiva boys with the black leather yamakas and klezmer with a 'straight-edged' vibe.

Jun 2, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 27
By the way, "Heavy Disco" would sound, I think, like "Wisconsind Death Trip", by Static-X. I inteviewed the bass player once, and he described their music as "evil disco", so I cant' be that different anyway.

Jun 2, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 27
Other styles will dominate. Guess Hip Hop and all its offsprings already do.

Nowadays tendency, where Rock is --mainly-- consumed by the 35 ++ average citizens will advance. Grunge was an attempt to revitalize the genre, but that is already 10 years ago. So Rock is dead and will remain dead.

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 27
punkapella

Users who are viewing this thread

Back