What will Pitchfork choose as their #1 album of this decade?
Sep 11, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #46 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also to completely digress, am I the only one who finds Kid A incredibly overrated? I could name dozens of albums which were released both before and after that record that do atmosphere better and yet are also less clinical, anesthetic and far more emotionally resonating. As far as I'm concerned the only reasons it's so lauded is because being released by a mainstream band allowed it to reach people who genuinely hadn't heard anything like it and were blown away.

nope, I think Kid A is great, probably the only Radiohead album worth the praise it receives. although I do think that Brian Eno's attempt at fusing arty rock with ambient (Another Green World, and slightly less so in Before and After Science) is more successful and, as you say, emotionally resonating. but I think the clinical aspect of Kid A is part of its appeal - representing the coldness of the new millennium thus far quite well.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #48 of 140
Quote:

Also to completely digress, am I the only one who finds Kid A incredibly overrated?

I always listen to Everything In Its Right Place when testing out new gear. The stereo image is just very cool. Also, the synth has the most pleasant grain to it, when listend with a nice setup.
I have a RL friend who likes to use Subterranean Homesick Alien for exactly the same purpose, and in my opinion, the Kid A track is a much better one.

I can't remember how the rest of Kid A is. But Everything In Its Right Place is one of the best first tracks of the decade, for sure.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #49 of 140
I personally prefer Amnesiac to Kid A. Something about Pyramid Song.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #50 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sea Change!

One of the best singer-songwriter albums in history. Terribly underrated because it's such a departure from Beck's traditional style.

If this had been the only album of an artist who subsequently killed himself, it would be in the top ten of all those "best 100 albums ever" lists.

In my opinion, Sea Change is right up there with classics like Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley and early Leonard Cohen.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #53 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used to be a Pitchfork devotee, however when I found out they scored Lateralus a 1.9, I knew these people were too "cool" for their own good.

Lateralus a 1.9??? Thats just effed up.

Yeah, I haven't been to that site since I read the Lateralus review either. The score didn't bother me (they're entitled to their own opinion), but after reading the review, I'm not even convinced that the writer bothered to listen to the album before writing the review. He basically just wrote 1,000+ words insulting Tool fans with virtually no mention of the music....I suppose that would pretty helpful if you choose which albums to buy based on how cool they will make you look. Based on what I've seen, that site is more concerned with their pretentious hipster image than they are of actual music.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #54 of 140
I've only read one Pitchfork review. That was Kid A. Judging by the volume of drool that I could almost visualize seeping in between their keyboard keys, it gets my vote.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #55 of 140
Quote:

Also to completely digress, am I the only one who finds Kid A incredibly overrated? /~/it's so lauded is because being released by a mainstream band allowed it to reach people who genuinely hadn't heard anything like it and were blown away.

I agree with that, but it doesn't chap me or anything. We all need introductions. God knows there is someone, somewhere sticking their nose up at something I listen to.

But in the spirit of the rant, I liken Kid A to Autechre light with a dash of Tortoise.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #56 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the best singer-songwriter albums in history. Terribly underrated because it's such a departure from Beck's traditional style.

If this had been the only album of an artist who subsequently killed himself, it would be in the top ten of all those "best 100 albums ever" lists.

In my opinion, Sea Change is right up there with classics like Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley and early Leonard Cohen.

Sea Change at this point in my life means more to me than any of Drake album...............................but its production as good as it is, sometimes gets in the way for me...................I would qualify Sea Change as the last masterpiece I've heard ............... but Funeral is a great album...........I haven't heard anything released since Funeral which I would call an out and out masterpiece.....

You could look at the history of Rock as - 1954 with Elvis's Sun sessions and end it with Arcade Fire's Funeral in my book....no pun intended :)

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #57 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted Kid A, but Funeral is definitely in the top 3. However, Pitchfork has a very hipster bias. The results mean about as much to me as the VH1 Video Awards or the Golden Globes.

I agree. I'd hope that Kid A would win, but it will probably be Panda Bear or something nauseatingly esoteric. I believe they voted Fleet Foxes as the best album of last year--case in point. Don't get me wrong, Fleet Foxes are incredible musicians, but the album quits on itself halfway through.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #58 of 140
I want to know what each and everyone of you that used to the term to actually expalin what you mean by the term.

Hipster...

All of this thread~

What do you actually mean by Hipster, are all your definitions the same, or are some different.

I honestly really really wanna know, cause you guys have used it like 12 times and I sitll don't know if your on the same page.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #60 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but its production as good as it is, sometimes gets in the way for me...................

Agreed. That's just your hipster-catering Nigel Godrich getting in the way of real music. He should have stuck with the blips and blops and dada poetics of Thom & The Lads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back