What were the greatest speakers you've ever heard?
Dec 10, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #16 of 107
Yeah, one of the big magnepans was the best I've heard. Of course, that's not saying much since they're the only "high-end" speakers I've ever auditioned.

Man, talks about the Moth Cicadas and the fostex 108s (thehornshoppecom, 'the horn') are giving me a bit of buyer's remorse even before my speakers arrive. I ended up getting the a pair of completed 2 Pi speakers because of space constraints. The price difference between them weren't that much at all. And the moth cicadas just look gorgeous.

Dec 10, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #17 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
PS....It's a lot easier bringing headphones into the house.
biggrin.gif

Do you mean "sneak" them into the house and "hide" them from plain sight Joe???

Dec 10, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #18 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Do you mean "sneak" them into the house and "hide" them from plain sight Joe???

Nope.......they're all in plain sight......hangin' all over the place. I'm actually quite surprised (and appreciative) she hasn't passed any new laws regarding headphones or amps. Maybe it's because they're so small in comparison to those Altecs. Heck, the Fortes look small in comparison to those monsters.
biggrin.gif

PS: She has passed a law regarding motorcycles in the garage..........................................5 is the limit.
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #19 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Nope.......they're all in plain sight......hangin' all over the place. I'm actually quite surprised (and appreciative) she hasn't passed any new laws regarding headphones or amps. Maybe it's because they're so small in comparison to those Altecs. Heck, the Fortes look small in comparison to those monsters.
biggrin.gif

PS: She has passed a law regarding motorcycles in the garage..........................................5 is the limit.
tongue.gif

LOL!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #20 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
The greatest MIDRANGE I ever heard for vocals was on a pair of speakers made by Chartwell. (I later found out they used the same KEF drivers as Rogers and Spendor - which I've actually never heard!)

The greatest midrange I've heard for vocals was through a pair of Spendor BC-1 circa 1970's, which I subsequently purchased
smily_headphones1.gif
...but that was before I heard a pair of Quad ESL-57, which was even better.

Although I've never had the chance of comparing the ESL-57 with the LS 3/5a (which I suspect was the pair you heard, chadbang), I was able to compare it with the BC-1. The soundstage of the LS 3/5a was IMHO not as wide than that of the LS 3/5a and the midrange sounded a but 'nasal' in comparison.

Dec 10, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #21 of 107
The best I've heard so far were the Nearfield Pipedreams. I heard them only for about 15-20 minutes at an audio show, but they were the most natural, relaxed-sounding speakers I've heard.

Dec 10, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #22 of 107
the best i heard were the B&W 801's. They sounded very large and realistic. the imaging was truly awesome, and the bass was sooooo deep without being ovedone. I can never look at most speakers the same way again after hearing them, although the upper-end rockport speakers Antares and Hyperion look very interesting to me. I never really have been interested in wilson speakers. The best speakers in my house were the Ess AMT 1-a's with the large heil tweeters my dad had. I loved those.

Dec 10, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #23 of 107
This past spring, at HE2002, in the Joseph Audio / Manley Labs / Cardas room, Jeff Joseph was showing off his Joseph Audio Pearls. Like many others, I voted for it as "best sound of show" and I believe it ended up winning. That was the best hi-fi I've heard in a while, and maybe the best I've heard, period.

Down the hall was a Rockport / Halcro / Transparent room, and those Antares were pretty amazing. In a show with so many rooms that left me unimpressed, I was was starting to lose hope of being solidly wowed at this year's show -- and then I walked into this room. I thought it was going to be my best-of-show, until I walked down the hall into that Joseph Audio setup.

Dec 10, 2002 at 11:41 AM Post #25 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Hales Trancedance 10s, and JM Lab Grande Utopia. If I remember correctly, they were both driven by B.A.T. (very expensive) electronics.

One of the local shops had two pairs of JMLab Grand Utopias that they had just brought in for a customer to use in his home theater (I kid you not). They had two sets of these speakers set up, one pair driven by Krell Reference amps and another set driven by spectral amps just to break them in...

I couldn't really tell the difference between the two setups as I was so overwhelmed by the sheer quality and volume of sound.

Dec 10, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #27 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
This past spring, at HE2002, in the Joseph Audio / Manley Labs / Cardas room, Jeff Joseph was showing off his Joseph Audio Pearls.

At the 95 (i think) Stereophile show, there was a room with four Golden Tube SE-40s driving Josephs. It wasn't the most impressive sound or gear at the show, but it was just so damn enjoyable to sit there and listen to music. The room was constantly full with people hanging out and groovin' to the tunes. And on a system $10,000s cheaper than some.

I later bought SE-40s (currently up for sale), and may buy Josephs if I decide to replace my Quads.

Grand Utopias: they just didn't do it for me. For that kind on money, I don't want to think, "pretty good."

Aerius i: I think this speaker is fabulous for the money - I'd buy them - but on an absolute basis, there are defintely better, including more expensive Martin Logans.

Dec 10, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #28 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
This past spring, at HE2002, in the Joseph Audio / Manley Labs / Cardas room, Jeff Joseph was showing off his Joseph Audio Pearls. Like many others, I voted for it as "best sound of show" and I believe it ended up winning. That was the best hi-fi I've heard in a while, and maybe the best I've heard, period.

If these are the speakers that had the diamond coated tweeter, it's no wonder. Stereophile absolutely RAVED about these things and how great they sounded. THAT must have been a treat for you to hear those Jude!!! And at $80,000 or so, quite a chunk of change!!!

Dec 10, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #29 of 107
Moondog Audio's Maya horn speakers hooked up to Cary monoblocks and 47 Labs PitRacer..stunning. This was at Applause Audio & Art here in Toronto (Broadview & Queen)..

- Wasif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back