What were the greatest speakers you've ever heard?
Aug 26, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #48 of 107
Best speaker I have ever heard is the Bose 901s. They are awsome!
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2003 at 1:25 PM Post #52 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
This past spring, at HE2002, in the Joseph Audio / Manley Labs / Cardas room, Jeff Joseph was showing off his Joseph Audio Pearls. Like many others, I voted for it as "best sound of show" and I believe it ended up winning. That was the best hi-fi I've heard in a while, and maybe the best I've heard, period.

This set up win second time in a row this year.
I don't know about Joseph Audio, but Manley and Cardas are the best in their respective field. PERIOD.

Back to topic my Rogers LS5/9 was one of the best 2 way monitors money can buy. ( infortunately Rogers doesn't exist anymore )

Aug 29, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #54 of 107
the other day i strolled into magnolia hi-fi and tried out some sonus faber and they proved to be one of the best presentations for classical music i've ever heard...and they were only powered by a pioneer elite! i can only imagine what they would sound like out of an arcam fmj or something along those lines. granted they are really nothing compared to some other combos, but for me it was the best i've heard in a long time. also there were a pair of vienna acoustic towers...they were awesome too, very good for classical and even better for Jazz! not too long ago, when shopping for some Kefs, i had the chance to listen to some reference Kefs...the top-of-the-line Kefs, the reference model 207! again the strong point with Kef is their ability to image well...god damn! in addition to imaging, they did everything else perfect and are my ideal, realistic speaker (one that i will probably get when i can make enough money). if you pair them with a warm source and amp, you're set. i heard them with Linn cd player and i can't remember the amplifier, but they were perfect. i put in a dave brubek cd (live) and it felt as if i was there with Mr. Brubek sitting next to him playing the piano! plus, you don't even need a subwoofer! anways, i'm not great at explaining what speakers and headphones sound like yet, but i know the model 207's were one of the best i've heard and rate up there with the sonus faber's. the martin logans at magnolia hi-fi weren't all that great, but dissapeared really well. however the newest martin logan three driver subwoofer is quite an accomplishment and had the best punch and accuracy i've ever heard in a subwoofer. i also really liked the Def Techs warmness too, although that is pretty much all they have going for them
frown.gif

those are the most recent speakers i've had the chance to hear, hopefully, in the near future, i will head on over to some small brand speaker stores in SF and check out some speakers i've nevr heard of!

Aug 31, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #55 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
The best I have ever heard period was recently at a new friend's home.he has a set of Maggie 3.6 along with a two custom subs using a total of four 15 inch drivers.All this is driven by four VTL 750 watt tubed monobloc amps.The sound is unreal and is truly akin to a live performance.

What kind of sub is your friend using, sealed, ported, dipole? This is why I'm asking....

And before I go any further, I must tell you that I am very familiar with high-end audiophile gear. I worked for a high-end retail store (Audio/Visions South) for years that only dealt with the best of the best in equipment, service, and advise. It was not unusual for us to have over a $1,000,000 worth of inventory on hand. So with that in mind, let me get on to the subject at hand......

My current system is IMHO the best I have heard anywhere. For my mains, I have a pair of Maggie MGLR 1s with DIY height adjustable stands and Cardas banana plug/KimberKable PBJ jumpers for the tweeters. For sub duties, I'm using a pair of extremely huge DIY dipole subs consisting of two 15" drivers per side.

With this configuration, and the consistency of the dipole Maggies and dipole subs, I get an unbelievably realistic soundstage and frequency range that rivals systems costing much more.

The treble is naturally crisp, clear and extended, the midrange is very real and transparent sounding, and the bass extends very low, (well below 20Hz), with plenty of authority and depth. And the transients are very life-like at any volume level. Any type of bass you put through it like, pipe organ, acoustic bass giutar, upright string bass, electronic, whatever, it sounds real. Vocals are so believable, you can almost feel their breathe and their spit landing on you.....
eek.gif
And cymbals, piccolos, and the upper register of violins are right there.

I can honestly say that my system, even though it's not the very best high-end equipment, does an amazing job at giving you everything the recording has to offer. I believe if you choose your equipment wisely and set it up properly, you can save loads of money and still get that high-dollar sound that so many of us dream of having.

P4192230.jpg

DSCN2221.jpg

Sep 1, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #56 of 107
eek.gif
simply beautiful!!!

Sep 2, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #57 of 107
JM Lab Grande Utopia's (just really nice)
Nearfield Pipedreams (imaging!)
Spendor S3/5's (so good, I bought them; just "Goldilocks" right)

Sep 2, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #59 of 107
Just recently heard the new ( i think they were the new models) grande utopias OMG!!
Next to them would be the Legacy-Audio whisper's and Legacy-Audio Focus. I prefer the Focus.

Sep 2, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #60 of 107
A speaker from a Canadian company called Clements was the best I can remember hearing. They were a 2 way transmission line using a soft dome tweeter. Unbelieveable midrange and bass with soft sweet highs. I dont remember the model number. Their top of the line speaker was a 2 way transmission line with a ribbon tweeter called an RT-7; but I preferred the soft dome 2 way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back