What was your first Xin amp and how did you choose it? Stuck between Supermini/micro
May 9, 2007 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

SONGsanmanwah

500+ Head-Fier
A noob here since the only headphone amp I've had was PA2v2. I'm now torn between Xin Supermini and Supermicro. Focusing on portability, I did order the latter but somehow realize I'd love to play around with gain/crossfeed etc. too. I have actually tried rockbox's crossfeed effect to some extent but did not get hooked by it.

So, my questions are: What was your first Xin amp, people? What was your decision based on and, if you could get back in time, would it still be your first pick?

Thanks!
etysmile.gif

May 9, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 24
I picked the micro about a year ago and second guessed it for awhile (like you are doing now).
Reasons to buy were it was small so I could take it to the gym and I didn't like the extra features of the mini and was suspicious of them. The fact that I would not use the impedance at all pushed it over the edge. After experiencing different amps (some other Xin among them) I have come to accept the micro as my absolute favorite portable amp (mine is III, haven't heard the IV yet). There is just something about it. I wish it were actually bigger because form factor isn't an issue for me, my only complaint. Today I am so glad I didn't switch to a mini, I have come to believe that the extra circuits demean the overall sound of the other Xin's (although they still sound great). You made a good decision, now all you have to do is wait!

May 9, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 24
I read a couple of days ago here on the forums, that Xin himself recomends to got the mini because of the extra features and and the extra battery which makes it last way longer. I dont know if this is true I am just passing the info along...

May 9, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 24
I originally ordered a mini IV last August. I also had an SR-71 at the time, and began to think of them as somewhat redundant. When I began to hear comments that the micro was the best sounding, I changed my order. I have been very happy with the micro, and at its price and size, its probably the only amp I'll never have an incentive to sell.

May 9, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 24
that's BEFORE xin fixed the power supply problem w/ the macro & mini though right? i was under the impression that he's managed to improve both the macro & mini (post april 11) so they're now better than the micro

May 9, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SONGsanmanwah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A noob here since the only headphone amp I've had was PA2v2. I'm now torn between Xin Supermini and Supermicro. Focusing on portability, I did order the latter but somehow realize I'd love to play around with gain/crossfeed etc. too. I have actually tried rockbox's crossfeed effect to some extent but did not get hooked by it.

So, my questions are: What was your first Xin amp, people? What was your decision based on and, if you could get back in time, would it still be your first pick?

Thanks!
etysmile.gif

I have owned the PA2v2. Nice budget amp for sure but Xin is in a different league.

I didn't even consider the Micro because it was too small and fragile looking. I also wanted the impedance feature most although with my ER4P the bass boost is just as useful.

I was also looking forward to the crossfeed but even after an earlier upgrade I'm still not impressed with it. It crushes the soundstage too much for my tastes.

When I got my free upgrade I considered doing a payed upgrade to the Macro but decided against it due to its larger size although the external switches would be really nice.

It seems that with Xins newest "4/11" upgrade/fix , they are all very similar in sound quality. I await this upgrade for my Supermini IV.

May 9, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 24
Wow. Quick replies. It's good to know I'm not alone in this.

asebastian0 and nfusion770, I completely understand your view that the micro just does what it does so wonderfully. It just what others said about "4/11" thing won't let go of me.

Whatever happens I am not going to buy both amps. I could join ChickenGod in his "Team Indicisive" but it won't be forever. Like a line from my Band of Horses' favorite song that goes "If I'm lost it's only for a little while...", I'll pick one eventually.

In the mean time, please continue with your stories. They do help.

May 9, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_4_Dog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's BEFORE xin fixed the power supply problem w/ the macro & mini though right? i was under the impression that he's managed to improve both the macro & mini (post april 11) so they're now better than the micro

Correct. I guess I could have been clearer if I stated that the Micro fits a different niche than the larger portables, and if it sounds as good, its a very unique amp- nothing is even close to this small. The micro can also be a better option for those of us who just don't like op amp tinkering. That being said, I can certainly see a case for either of these amps.

May 9, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 24
i bought the supermini twice.. simply for the extra features/ tweakability
Took me 2 superminis to work out that i never really used the options or roll opamps

If i'm going to get another xin amp, it'd definitely be the supermicro

May 10, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 24
Macro 4 maxxed. Wanted to try different opamps with different hps. Its a bit big but fits nicely with an ipod in a digital camera hip case. Handles etys and K701s effortlessly. I would go with it again.

May 10, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 24
I got a shock today! I've had a Supermini III, sold it as I had a Supermini IV that arrived 12/29 (Xin has long advocated his Supermini as a best choice - nothing new there). Now, I've since added a Supermacro LE..........the shock.........out of pure curiosity, plugged newly arrived Beyer dt880/600Ω
into Nano/Supermacro LE..........and the Supermacro is handling them beautifully. Volume is at 1:30-2:00, so we're in very good shape in terms of headroom. Sure, it is supposed to handle moderate full-size cans, but generally hungry 600Ω of lower-moderate sensativity? While I tend to carry Nano/Supermacro LE in my regular shirt pocket..........the Supermini makes it more carryable .
There is indeed a "major" difference between pre and post 4/11 minis/ macros...........I'll be facing few repercussions by having 2 Xin's. When I send my December 06 mini in for the upgrades .........I'll still be using my post 4/11 Supermacro LE
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 24
I have a supermini III. I like the extra battery life and features. Especially the bass boost which is perfect for the ER4S

May 11, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 24
My first Xin amp was a Supermacro III Version 6, it was a great amp which I still regret selling. My second was a Supermacro IV-LE, it honestly did not impress me specially since I was comparing it against a Supermicro IV (all before 4/11 mods).

I have also listened extensively to a Supermini IV and a Supermicro IV and IMO the Supermicro IV is the KING. Can't wait to hear the post 4/11 changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back