Aug 18, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #16 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
I didn't even have enough memory to load a mouse driver

wow you're old.

lol j/k man!!!
rs1smile.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #21 of 167
... Amiga A500 and A3000 (the latter is what the original video toaster mentioned in an earlier post was used in). Many, many fantastic hours spent in graphics and audio programs that were unique to the Amiga (as both the pc clone and Mac were monchrome with virtually no sound at that time ... yes there was such a time).
icon10.gif

Too bad the company that made the Amiga didn't have a lot of business savvy and went under.
frown.gif
Damn I liked that computer.

Aug 18, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #22 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord SW Ont
... Amiga A500 and A3000 (the latter is what the original video toaster mentioned in an earlier post was used in). Many, many fantastic hours spent in graphics and audio programs that were unique to the Amiga (as both the pc clone and Mac were monchrome with virtually no sound at that time ... yes there was such a time).
icon10.gif

Too bad the company that made the Amiga didn't have a lot of business savvy and went under.
frown.gif
Damn I liked that computer.

Oops, my mistake, i defer to your expertise.
Yet i will mention, amiga was a true pioneer machine, and commodore was ahead of it's time. Sound tracking (MODS) began here, gaming was as advanced as in the arcade, and you had video toaster to have your own home film capabilities... The only reason i can understand commodore went out of buisness was because they were very expensive and not takein in as readily as PC was by buisness. That's how I.B.M did it really... They were cheap because clones became available... Everything was shopped out.. THat's how intel became a big name, I.B.M. started with them because they were cheap.
it'sr eally funny, Apple had the same syndrome (back in the 1980's/early 90's), otuside of acadamia and media/desktop publishing, they didn't have much folllowing and fell apart too, i think thats when they kicked steve jobs out originally. They cost an arm and a leg, all propriatary equipment...

Aug 18, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #23 of 167
Pentium II - 450Mhz, it's still being used.

Aug 18, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #25 of 167
Quote:

Quote by mjg: Oops, my mistake, i defer to your expertise.

============================================

??? Not sure what you mean as you got everything bang on.
tongue.gif

I didn't notice your earlier post until after I made my post. Not many people around have heard of the Amiga. I remember seeing one of the first Amigas in action in a local store and with all the colours and four channel sound along with a sophisticated full command line interface and advanced GUI with preemptive multitasking it really wowed me. At the time the IBm and Mac types were saying what would ever need all those colours for and why would anyone ever want sound in a computer.
icon10.gif
If they could only look ahead in the future.
tongue.gif

The bitmapped and structured drawing programs ... including 2& 3D modelling and animation programs ... were not only unique to consumers at the time but were not all that expensive either. As you said the games were pretty advanced in their day as well. I can remember using Imagine and Lightwave along with the video toaster to create 3D animations for a video producer friend of mine. We'd have multi Amigas running 24 hours a day for days to make a few minutes of video.
icon10.gif
Spent many late nights at the keyboard ... but it sure was a lot of fun.

BTW I think you are correct that the cost and the fact that Commodore used proprietary graphic chips, etc and interlaced monitors (for television purposes ... harder on the eyes for general computer work) and didn't let anyone else into their market hurt them. At the time the IBM was being cloned by almost everyone and while at the beginning there was problems with lack of standardization, it led to very rapid advances. The Mac was also too proprietary as they wanted to control all the hardware and operating system. IMHO that is why the IBM more or less won the race.

I still have my Amiga A3000 in boxes in my basement and there are parts of the world were they are still used in niche (ie video) markets. Hard to believe for a computer technology that hasn't changed in over a decade.
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #26 of 167
first was my dad's 386 33mhz. thing was a beast, windows 3.1
biggrin.gif
i was 5 at the time and my dad taught me how to use DOS and stuff, that was awesome. we did small upgrades and such (to 486..etc) and didnt actually get a superscalar (sp) CPU until around 1997, which is pretty pathetic. ah, that was a good rig: AMD K6 233.

Aug 18, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #28 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcaps
i think it was the timex sinclair 1000

wow, was it a kit, did you build it?

i ead about those... People still buy them and make them nowadays, true geeks.

Aug 18, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #29 of 167
Pentium 75
8 MB RAM (integrated into the motherboard!) later upgraded to 72 MB
1 MB Cirrus Logic Integrated Video
1 GB HDD
Whoa...get this. QUAD-SPEED CD-ROM
3.5" Floppy
Aztech Labs SG Washington 16 Soundcard (it has 14.4k modem with it)

It's a Packard Bell Legend. Its a router now...

Aug 18, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #30 of 167
Sinclair ZX-81, 1k ram, 1k rom, cable to connect to a tape player
dad bought it for me assembled, I believe. I used to type the programs in to be able to use them, because I didn't have a tape player to record them on...

TI-994A

Around this time I got access to a local college DEC PDP11 and PDT11.
Then got a job working on their VAX 11/750. I was 15 when I got that job...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back