what was your experience switching between headphones and speakers?
Sep 14, 2023 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mgh24

100+ Head-Fier
I have been listening exclusively to headphones for the last 8-10 years I would guess. Pulled out my old-ish HT towers, that I used to think sounded OK, but they do not, at least compared to what I get out of my headphones.

Speakers being subjected to all the weird acoustic properties of a room, another complication.

But wondering, do you have speakers that will hold their own against your headphones? My belief, rightly or wrongly, is that it would take much more money to get sound close to what I get from my headphones.
Am I right or wrong about that?

I don't need speakers, just got a bug to see what it would be like to sit in a room with speakers again. I do have a sub left over from the HT that I can use. Thinking I would prefer a good bookshelf, thinking maybe a KEF Q150 or Q350.

Do you use both speakers and HP? How do they compare?

Thanks for any insights.

Sep 15, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 14
Biggest difference is soundstage, in that a speaker system creates one, whilst headphones don’t. Instead you get a ‘headstage’ which can still sound great, but is not the same thing.

The soundstage created by speakers can literally recreate an approximation of the ‘sound of the stage’ in your room. The issue I’ve always had though, is, as you already mentioned, are the room acoustics. I’ve spent ages trying to find the optimal speaker placement, distance apart, distance from the wall, toe in angle, etc. Then I have to sit in the right spot to appreciate it all

Headphones can’t reproduce that soundstage, but can sound more direct, and less diffuse as a result. I do also agree that headphones generally offer better value for money when it comes to just sound quality. £30/$30 could get you some perfectly listenable IEMs, a bit more for full sized headphones, but a pair of £30 speakers?

Sep 15, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 14
I used to switch between a 7.1 setup with satellites all placed in a home office, and headphones. Gaming really was much more with speakers.
Great if you live alone in a freestanding house, big drawback for me any other time. I use the Simgot EA500 these days for noise isolation and with shared walls to neighbors it's more practical. I miss the feeling of immersion though, especially when the subwoofer kicked for music.

Sep 15, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the responses.

@Claypole - Room acoustics is definitely a concern for me, not a lot of options, but can already tell a big difference in sub placement, even with limited options, and the speakers I have are very limited when off-axis, at least from tweeters.

@dunring - neighbors are not a problem for me, but my wife does not appreciate much of my music, so a similar issue, limited times I can really get speakers really going :)

I'm thinking it would probably be best for me to not go to far with speakers, stick with something no too expensive, keep the subwoofer, and just occasionally sit down and let it crank simply for the fun of it, rather than thinking I am going to get the kind of fidelity I get from my headphones.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 14
I prefer speakers to the point I never listen to headphones except during hours when noise is not tolerated here and only when it's not summer.

My speakers didn't cost much and they're not anything you read about in hifi magazines (they're Klipsch branded but made in China) and yet they have more visceral slam than my headphones and speed and clarity are outstanding. I enjoy them very much, I get room filling jazz with great imaging.

I can't run a sub here but if you can I think it would be recommended as long as you get an audiophile sub, not one intended for home theatre.

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 14
Speakers being subjected to all the weird acoustic properties of a room, another complication.
That is both the great advantage of speakers and the biggest difficulty. With the exception of binaural recordings (inc. certain Dolby Atmos recordings), virtually all commercial music recordings are made on speakers and primarily designed for playback on speakers. In other words, they are created with the expectation of having acoustic properties from your speakers and room added, and as mentioned, the perception of soundstage and to an extent tonal balance, depends on having speakers in a room. You obviously loose some/much of that with headphones.

On the other hand, the acoustic properties of consumer rooms are highly variable, virtually always very compromised and require some/much treatment. Nevertheless, even an untreated room is still usually better in terms of perceived soundstage fidelity and the perception of bass.

The technological drive in recent years has been to try and get HPs to sound like speakers, not the other way around (which would be undesirable and impossible anyway).

G

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 14
I prefer my speaker sound as you just can't duplicate the type of bass and sound stage that speakers can give you if done right. However, I love headphones as well. When I have a musical listening session I usually start with the speakers and end the evening through my headphones. I enjoy both virtually every night that I listen.

Jan 4, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 14
I like speaker sounds more, due to the wider soundstage and airiness it gives. Though, it doesn't give me the bass slam that I would be used to with headphones. I realised the bass seems to build up at the back wall of my room, that I don't hear sitting in front (~1m) from my speakers. I might have to sit further away from my desk and my speakers to get the proper response, not sure though!

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #9 of 14
I like speaker sounds more, due to the wider soundstage and airiness it gives. Though, it doesn't give me the bass slam that I would be used to with headphones. I realised the bass seems to build up at the back wall of my room, that I don't hear sitting in front (~1m) from my speakers. I might have to sit further away from my desk and my speakers to get the proper response, not sure though!
Yeah it's common to have problems with the room and that's why room treatment is often needed with speakers. Positioning your listening position and your speakers themselves are very important as well.

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 14
I have both and I enjoy them every day. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Speaker system
Advantages:
  • More realistic soundstage and imaging.
  • You can better "feel" the music.
  • Sounds more natural because that's how the brain usually listens to sounds.
  • More comfortable and can listen for longer. Nothing in your ears like IEMs and nothing weighing and clamping on your head like headphones. Maybe this depends on the person; speakers are more comfortable for me.
Disadvantages:
  • Not as good with micro-details as headphones because the drivers are just farther from your ears.
  • Might bother neighbors if you live in an apartment, but some speaker systems are great in low volume.
  • Speaker setup is very important if you want that realistic soundstage and imaging. Prepare to spend a few hours on a weekend to do that.
  • Takes up a whole room, which your significant other might not approve.
  • The room affects the sound.
  • You have to sit at a sweet spot for the best sound.

Headphones
Advantages:
More micro-details.
Don't have to worry about the room. Ear tips and ear pads affect the sound but those are easy to swap and experiment.
Easy to setup; don't have to spend hours getting the right placement.
More convenient. You can walk around your home because you're always in the sweet spot.
Can still have the best sound when you listen while you work or do chores.

Disadvantages:
  • Everything is in or just slightly outside of your head.
  • Can be fatiguing if you don't like to listen with crossfeed (depending on the person).
  • Not as comfortable as speakers because you still have something in your ears or on your head.

For me, I use headphones or IEMs when I'm working in front of my computer or doing things around the home (e.g., cooking, cleaning). When I have time in the evening to dedicate an hour or two to music, I still like to listen using my speakers.

As for the price, a speaker system can cost so much. I enjoy listening through my speaker system much more than my headphones or IEMs, but that system has an MSRP close to $40,000 (although I bought most of the things used and that saved a lot); my headphones and IEM system has a MSRP of $11,000.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 14
As for the price, a speaker system can cost so much. I enjoy listening through my speaker system much more than my headphones or IEMs, but that system has an MSRP close to $40,000 (although I bought most of the things used and that saved a lot); my headphones and IEM system has a MSRP of $11,000.
Tell me about it LOL. My 2 channel system (turntable, tonearm, cartridge, phono pre, preamp, amp, streamer and speakers) have a MSRP of about $95K. That doesnt even include the racks, cables, custom built listening room or the room treatment. Add my 3 headphones and headphone amp at $14K. Buying used is the way to go. (Example $60,000 speakers for $17,000) but it is still crazy when you add it all up.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 14
Tell me about it LOL. My 2 channel system (turntable, tonearm, cartridge, phono pre, preamp, amp, streamer and speakers) have a MSRP of about $95K. That doesnt even include the racks, cables, custom built listening room or the room treatment. Add my 3 headphones and headphone amp at $14K. Buying used is the way to go. (Example $60,000 speakers for $17,000) but it is still crazy when you add it all up.
Yes! Seems like you know more about it than me. I had a Clearaudio turntable and Audio Research phono preamp. It can get expensive. I guess fortunately I didn't grow up with it and didn't have a collection of records, so I never really got into it. I ended up selling them and went all-digital.

Agree, buying used is is the way to go. Audiophiles usually keep their stuffs in really good condition.

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 14
I finally got a set of speakers, and I don't regret it.

Still love the detail I can get out of headphones, but especially with some recordings, the sound stage from open air speakers can be outstanding.

Still love the fact that I can have 3 different headphones to choose from depending on the mood I'm in, or the track I am listening to.

Lucky to have the option to listen to both!

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 14
I finally got a set of speakers, and I don't regret it.

Still love the detail I can get out of headphones, but especially with some recordings, the sound stage from open air speakers can be outstanding.

Still love the fact that I can have 3 different headphones to choose from depending on the mood I'm in, or the track I am listening to.

Lucky to have the option to listen to both!

Congratulations! Enjoy!! It's really nice to have both speakers and headphones. They're different experiences and can complement each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back