What was your 1st Portable Music Player? (Please read rules)
Dec 30, 2010 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

SoulSyde

Headphoneus Supremus
RULES:
1.  AM/FM radios are excluded because they're ubiquitous (but all other forms of media are OK: tape, disc, digital, etc.)
2.  You must provide the make and model (if available)
3.  Provide a photo (from Google if necessary)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my entry:

A Sony WM-FX43.  I remember working odd jobs the Summer of 1994 to buy that Walkman and a nice pair of higher-quality on ear Sony headphones.  Unfortunately, they were both stolen.  The one pictured below I purchased on eBay earlier this year so I could get my first Walkman back. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 68
Sansa e220

I bought this for christmas 4 1/2 years ago. I remember listening to it constantly, mostly on the bus to and from school. I simply listened to music, the video encoding was flimsy, the voice recording antagonized me, the durability made it last. 
After three years of use, and love, the battery failed to hold a charge. After the screen cover had a large crack in it, the dents on the back and corners, and the headphone jack always cutting out. Even after I bought a zune hd, I still miss it so~

Taken by my cellphone, with the case i bought with it and the earbuds that were still in the jack after I raised it from the dead,..., box in closet.
I had a box full of $5 cd players, yet this one is still close to me.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 68
The Aiwa TA183. Got is as a 5th grade graduation present from my mom in 1998. Didn't really use it as much as I use my mp3 players, but I loved it. And I have it next to me right now
biggrin.gif
 I'll take a pic tomorrow. For now here's a google pic.

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 68
Mine was a sandisk sansa m230 player I got for christmas when I was 11. It used a AAA battery and had a whopping 512mb memory. Like the kid I was, I used it for the winter and then promptly forgot about it. Now almost exactly 6 years later I dig it out and it still looks brand new, thanks to the silicone case it came in.
biggrin.gif

This is a stock image from google, I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 68
ouhhhh.. long long time ago)). It was in 1991 or so.. and I really dont know if I still have my WALKMAN.

With luck, I found a picture in the web of the backside. Maybe sb can help me..

--> I found it!! Sony WM-DD11 (http://www.music-players.de/suche.htm)

(http://article.wn.com/view/2009/07/14/Remembering_the_Walkman/)

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 68
I no longer have it, but the Rio Carbon 5gb was my first DAP. I actually didn't like it too much, as the volume level was quite low for my tastes (I used full-sized Sony cans back then). I never realized how good it really was till I bought a Rio ce2100 about a year or two ago - the SQ is quite amazing - w/the right cans/IEM's.

Anyways, I got rid of it (Rio Carbon) and moved on to a Creative Zen Extra 40gb - which had a decent run before permanently bricking on me. I also gifted the ce2100.

​
I'd also owned quite a few various Walkmen tape & cd players, as well as JVC and Panasonic cd players - too many to list (plus I'll be damned if I can remember them all).

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 68
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png
moz-screenshot-3.png
moz-screenshot-4.png

A Hong Kong knock-off circa 1981.  Total bliss (at the time).

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 68
At 65, I am quite a bit older than most of you lads, but I did not get my first until this year.  It was the 4g Ipod Touch.  I have mated it to a FiiO E7 for musical bliss.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 68
Sony Walkman TPS-L2 that I purchased new in August 1979. Looked just like RASeymour's knock-off above but was the real thing and cost $199.99 in 1979 dollars! I rode to work and back every morning and all over the Western U.S. listening to that thing on my motorcycle. It was a marvel at the time and I was in heaven!

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #15 of 68
1981 , when i was 5

If i remember correct it was a Sony Walkman

The first album i remember hearing was The Beatles 1962-1966

Good times.

(i don't rememeber the model , but it probably looked sth like that)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back