what was the flavor of the month when you joined head-fi?
Sep 13, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #31 of 182
i think eggos may have been the flavor, cant remember for sure i took a long break from here before i actually bought anything

Sep 14, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #32 of 182
I guess I joined at the height of the Eggo craze, like Goose.

Sep 14, 2003 at 2:16 AM Post #33 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
Eggos.

Now of course the CD3000's are the flavor of the month. But I wonder how long they will the 'flavor' for?

Exactly as long as it takes for people's SR225's to arrive.
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #34 of 182
Best of my recollection is that people were talking a lot about the ASL mg-head DT/OTL (plus tube rolling) and HD600's. Or maybe that's just what I chose to hear (see the equipment in my sig).

Sep 14, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #35 of 182
Interesting thread....

I haven't posted in what seems like forever. When I first joined as headwize, it was the grado sr60 and sr80 fad. Then it was the MG Head/Senn HD600 phase. After that, the Ety craze. All those seem to be headfi staples now.

Sep 14, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #36 of 182
wow.....let me think.....probably altoids tin amps...everyone was buying/making them..it was insane....i still use both of mine to this very day...very nice sounding...and a definite conversation peice....

Sep 14, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #37 of 182
audio techinica 1000 series. i think i'm guilty of adding to the hype... man i was so excited about the w1000. it all started for me after purchasing my hd600, then reading some reviews of the w100 over at headwize. well, really, it was one glowing review of the w100. so when i got wind that the w1000 was going to be released... well, you could imagine the excitement. half the price of the w2002, with possibly the same or better sound (that's what hype gets you). i still think the w1000 are very nice headphones, and if i had enough money they'd still be with me today.

Sep 14, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #39 of 182
Sennheiser HD-580s time, thus my sig...
well newegg's $125 pricetag had something to do with that...
as did Sennheiser's rebate...that I personally never got but couldn't care less about as I still consider my headphones a steal at the price I got them at
biggrin.gif

Nick

Sep 14, 2003 at 10:21 AM Post #40 of 182
Don't remember.
Don't care.
Once you start thinking about it, flavors of the month are a giant waste of money that take your money in small amounts instead of saving up and buying real nice stuff.
Do you guys really expect 30dollar cans to compete with 500+ dollar cans?

Sep 14, 2003 at 10:54 AM Post #41 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by maverick_12
Do you guys really expect 30dollar cans to compete with 500+ dollar cans?

the flavors are not always with cheap stuff. Audio technica were expensive and so were the eggos at the portable scale. I see more the flavors as a rush towards components with only an average price/quality ratio. As the philips dvd963sa three months ago.

Sep 14, 2003 at 1:14 PM Post #42 of 182
Don't know. When I joined I think the flavour of the month was the Beyer DT250-80 which I was coincidentally trying to get rid of
evil_smiley.gif
After no response elsewhere (I didn't expect to get anywhere near what I paid for it in general classifieds unlike the DJ style headphones) I sold them in a short time here.

After extensive research (haha) F.O.M. needs only about 5 people to get enthusiastic about them to begin with. Since I've joined I think I've probably figured among those 5 people quite often
evil_smiley.gif

My crystal ball is now getting less cloudy for the FOM in September and October... AKG K271S. Job done, once again
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #43 of 182
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
My crystal ball is now getting less cloudy for the FOM in September and October... AKG K271S. Job done, once again
wink.gif

Isn't that because those headphones hit the market not so long ago?

Then, any new product many people are curious about will thus be doomed to FOM rank, right?

Isn't your sarcastic attitude a little dangerous? Don't you think it is good to throw in some diversity?

I personnaly don't have issues if FOMs if people who advocate them truly believe in their sonic virtues!

Just saying that because ... I just ordered some 271S out of curiosity and really hope the hype is up to the promise
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 11:22 AM Post #45 of 182
Sony V-6. Everyone had those bastards when I joined and the neverending praises made me paranoid about getting a pair of those for myself. I couldn`t find them in Europe and their equivalent, the 7506, were/are way to expensive over here.

Luckily, an HFI-650 treatment I`ve been going through in recent months cured all my frustrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back