What was the component that started the slippery slope
Dec 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #61 of 76
Sennheiser HD-280Pro Silver was the forefather. I've never heard so deep and powerful bass before. I was amazed and fascinated - at this time the bass quantity was equivalent to sound quality for me
icon10.gif

But the background of all was the low WAF of my Jamo speakers which has made me to look for good headphones at reasonable price. My wife is guilty for this madness!

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #64 of 76
the California Audio Labs CL-15 was it for me. the difference between it, and everything else even remotely close to its price range was crazy. I did a shoot-out at the local hi-fi shop and told them I wasn't concerned about price (mostly because I knew nothing they had was over $6k), I just wanted the best quality cd playback I could get (because hey, I could splurge a little since I only need ONE cd player right...?) and I'd let my ears be the judge, not aesthetics, nor marketing hype etc. just ears.

after that, everything else was just a blur; new amps, new B&W's, new Maggies, then bigger Maggies, better cables, even better amps, even better cables...

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #67 of 76
Yeah, it was the 60's and phono cartridges for me. Back then, Audio Technica's were THE cartridges to have. I would wear the diamonds off 'em and go back for more. My table back then was the Garrard Zero 100c. I thought it was the bees knees. Everybody else had a Dual or a Pioneer. I loved being different
regular_smile .gif

Been chasin' the sweet sounds ever since (happily so).

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #68 of 76
Linn Lp12 started it for me. I bought it second hand and within 18 months I had changed the plinth, power supply, cartridge, suspension. It was wonderful. I should never have got rid of it!

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #69 of 76
Mission 771 monitors, purchased from Tweeter. Prior to those I had some crappy Yamahas and the like from Sears. The Missions were the first real pair of speakers I owned, and that was when the audiophile bug really bit.

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #71 of 76
A pair of Yamaha MSP5A monitors + Apogee duet, which i got for recording purposes. Got used to hearing (relatively) decent sound, and everything else just started sounding very lacklustre. Headphone addiction-wise, I picked up some IE7s in a sale at an airport, and thought "these are pretty good sounding for earphones, i could do with some nice headphones for home......"

Jan 15, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #73 of 76
Panasonic PCDP followed by the HeadRoom Cosmic Reference Module and a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s with the Cardas Headphone Cable Upgrade. This started my obsession with Head-Fi. I have not looked back ever since nor will I.

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #74 of 76
Wow, reading this thread makes me happy that I care about music than you guys :p

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #75 of 76
For me it was watching my best friend listen to a psy-trance track {Electric Universe & Chico - Gaijian Rocker (Remix)} on a Darkvoice 332 and with my HD650's
at louder volumes than I have ever dared to listen to them at, thinking, I should be able to have as much fun as him but at a lower volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back