What was the component that started the slippery slope
Dec 21, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hearing the SR-Lambda pushed me off the deep-end known as high-end.

Yah, and your selling me your Stax Lambda pushed me over the edge 2 years ago on a now "almost over" journey.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #47 of 76
It all started with a pair of Alon l's powered by a McCormack DNA .5 with an Audio Research pre amp, a Linn LP12 and a micromega cdp. This set up lasted 10 years until Headfi ruined me in 2004!

Prior to that a sony mini disc player powering grado sr60s rocked my world

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #48 of 76
wavoman said:-
There is a member here (no names) famous for having more unopened than opened at his house! .

I remember being in a hifi shop and talking the the saleswoman about the Senn HD650 about 6 months after they were released here in Aus.
We got to talking about the Senn Orpheus, and she related about how a woman bought one for her husband (who was a HiFi nut ) for his birthday.
He opened the box, looked at the Orpheus, thanked his wife for the present and put it into a cupboard where it stayed.
What a waste.

Contrary to popular belief, Skullcandies are not wasted on the deaf - they keep their ears warm....

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #50 of 76
Once upon a time...quite a few years ago...before I knew what "HiFi" was..I was all about LOUDNESS...a pair of Klipsch Forte II speakers and an Adcom monster amp..it was all about how loud I could play the latest Rush album..then a Friend in "the Audio Biz" gave me some direction..I traded the Klipsch for a pair of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers...picked up and Audio Research pre-amp..kept the Adcom...and with my friends help..tweeked the speaker position until Valhalla opened up...Musicians sounded like they were coming from inside my living room..right in front of me...it was all down hill from there..dedicated sound room..two systems..one for two channel one for movies.... About 7 years ago...I had to quit cold turkey..sold everything..bought a house..scaled everything down..but...the Monkey is coming back..slowly...I'm fighting it...I've amassed a very nice little multi-channel system...now I'm turning my sights on two channel..but this time Headphones are my drug of choice!! Please help..

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #51 of 76
I must've slipped in the womb. Had my own portable radio when I was 5 and tried to mod it. Unsuccessfully. Still riding that slope.

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #52 of 76
deviate2112 said:-
..but this time Headphones are my drug of choice!! Please help...

Sorry, dude, you've come to the wrong place.
If you want to slide further down into your addiction, we can help you at the expense of your wallet.
If you want to quit...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...!! !!!!!!

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #54 of 76
Dec 24, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #56 of 76
The thing that got me started was when a friend in 1978 purchased a midrange Technics receiver and two sets of Cerwin Vega speakers (Stacked). I thought it was amazing, so I started researching equipment. I quickly discovered that what he had was very modest.

Then in 1980 I heard a set of Infinity RS 4.5 speakers bi-amped with two GAS Ampzillas. Those speakers blew my mind. On the crescendos in Stravinsky's Firebird (Telarc LP) the lights in the room actually dimmed the amps were drawing so much current. I had to have them. The 4.5's retailed for $4500 when I purchased a set in early 82. I Bi-amped them using two Hafler DH-500's fed from an Apt Holman Preamp and a Walker CJ55 with Grace 747 Tonearm and a Grado Cartridge.

So the single piece of equipment that really got me going was the Infinity 4.5 speakers. My best friend now owns and still uses my Infinity 4.5's

rs45216km.jpg

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #58 of 76
Hi all,

I think this is my first post.

The component for me was the Grado SR125. It was shortly after my dad had gotten our first good quality sound system. I had a pair of generic Sony over the ear headphones at the time (one of those cheap $50 ones) and they had just been crushed in my bag. So, with the recent realization that good audio equipment makes a big difference, I set off to find a good replacement.

As a 9th grader, back in 2002, I wasn't exactly rolling in cash, however the appeal of the sound of the Grados were irresistible, and I settled for the most expensive pair I could afford. The $300 SR125 (after they decided to cover the tax for me, I was initially leaning towards the SR80). Now, quite a few years later, I have a dedicated DAC, headphone amp and the Grado SR225i... I would have gone further, but as a College student, the bank has sorta dried up...

That's my story. Nothing special, but entertaining... well, to me anyway.

-Nabeel

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #59 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabeel_co /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I think this is my first post.

The component for me was the Grado SR125. It was shortly after my dad had gotten our first good quality sound system. I had a pair of generic Sony over the ear headphones at the time (one of those cheap $50 ones) and they had just been crushed in my bag. So, with the recent realization that good audio equipment makes a big difference, I set off to find a good replacement.

As a 9th grader, back in 2002, I wasn't exactly rolling in cash, however the appeal of the sound of the Grados were irresistible, and I settled for the most expensive pair I could afford. The $300 SR125 (after they decided to cover the tax for me, I was initially leaning towards the SR80). Now, quite a few years later, I have a dedicated DAC, headphone amp and the Grado SR225i... I would have gone further, but as a College student, the bank has sorta dried up...

That's my story. Nothing special, but entertaining... well, to me anyway.

-Nabeel

Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #60 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah, and your selling me your Stax Lambda pushed me over the edge 2 years ago on a now "almost over" journey.

It is never over my friend. Even when you are out of money it is never over as we seem to find a way to pursue the obsession to the next level.

It's pretty much just like being a drug addict isn't it?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back