What volume do you listen to your SR-71 at?
May 3, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I got my sr-71 (yay) and with my 600's I got it cranked full throttle...

I like it loud!!!!

Thats just wrong
biggrin.gif
but how long do you listen at that level? All the time?

I am looking into a better source so I can turn this thing (SR-71) down, my ears get tired easly at say 12:00 but it sounds great! So maybe with a Meridian and my RS-1's with flat pads (just ordered the flat pads going to listen to the Meridian's this afternoon), I can get the same dynamic sound and detail with less volume and listen longer.

PS. Us older guys 47 years old, wish we were smarter when we were younger
Shooting guns with no ear pertection,open headers in the garage with 632 Cubic inch motors pounding on the cement floor now that is dynamic sound.

Now when I try to hear my watch tick in my left ear nada/nothing right ear tick tick. good listening but be carefull!

May 3, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #33 of 42
I don't want to steer the thread too far from its original subject, but on advice from another thread, I recently went to see an audiologist for a hearing exam -- insurance covered
icon10.gif

The doctor's rule of thumb: for extended listening sessions, safe listening volume is a volume you can listen to and simultaneously engage in a conversation in your normal tone of voice. If you can't hear the other person or you are raising your voice when speaking, you should probably lower your listening volume.

On a side note, he told me that interest in hearing exams has grown with the popularity of the iPod. I replied that he can chalk me up as one of the people who came in for an exam because of a recent iPod purchase and Head-Fi illness.

May 5, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #34 of 42
sounds like the norm (i know the headphone types are different) is between 9-12.

Hmm, I'm having a problem with SR-71 now. UE10s have really low impedance. Previously with ER4S between 8-9, never past 9 but no I listen between 7 (the start point) and 8....

The problem is that the SR71 is not balanced as the left side is noticeably louder until around 7:30 and I'm ending up listening a little louder than I wish (8:00) to get left/right balance.

Anybody else have this problem?

May 5, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #35 of 42
I don't know if this sounds stupid or not, but couldn't you lower your line-out level?

May 5, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #36 of 42
Line-out levels can't be modified as the signal is already unamplified ... so not possible i'm afraid.

May 6, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx
Shooting guns with no ear pertection,open headers in the garage with 632 Cubic inch motors pounding on the cement floor now that is dynamic sound.

Now when I try to hear my watch tick in my left ear nada/nothing right ear tick tick. good listening but be carefull!

46 and the same here. I remember as child being able to hear my Bulova ticking on the nightstand. Now only my left ear will pick up the sound, and only if the watch is held close.

Ipod line out, 9 to 2 depending on the bloom, with my ancient pair of Ety ER4S.

May 6, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx

Front row seats at a Boston concert in '81 took care of that.

Through an Esoteric DV-50
R-10's 9-10 o'clock
HD600's 10-11 o'clock

May 6, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #40 of 42
Whenever we have fire drills here at the office, I'm the only one covering my ears! What are these people thinking! If I'm going to lose hearing it sure as f-ck ain't gonna be on no damn crude alarm!!

May 6, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyverl
The problem is that the SR71 is not balanced as the left side is noticeably louder until around 7:30 and I'm ending up listening a little louder than I wish (8:00) to get left/right balance.

Anybody else have this problem?

This is a problem with me too, and I asked ray and he said he'd fix the gain for me (paying only the cost of shipping), but I really didn't want to be without an amp, since previously I was without a complete setup for a few months. My source is an Nad and phones are HD650. I listen at really low volumes most the time.

May 6, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoton
Whenever we have fire drills here at the office, I'm the only one covering my ears! What are these people thinking! If I'm going to lose hearing it sure as f-ck ain't gonna be on no damn crude alarm!!

I used to laugh at people in Manhattan, that used to cover their ears when a fire truck, police car or ambulance went by...but now I find myself doing it, too. With all the money that I've spent on audio equipment, to get the best sound in my budget, I am going to protect my investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back