What volume do you listen at?
Jan 30, 2009 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

forsberg

500+ Head-Fier
I find that a lot those "how loud do you listen to" threads is not useful because most replies are:

"Loud Enough"
"Enough to drive"
"Until I really hear the music, then down a notch"

So I want to start a thread that lists out your equipment used, and the volume level of your player/amp/source to get a real comparison to see where everybody's listening level is at.

Me:

PC-

1. foobar replaygain set at 89db
2. Hornet M low gain between 8 and 9 o'clock
3. Westone 3

Portable-

1. Sansa Fuze at about 65%
2. Westone 3

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 33
At about 11 or 12 on my S639F.

Could someone tell me whether or not that is loud, and if you have a decibel meter, how loud it is?

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I am at work, I play Zune at level 1 (the smallest volumn).

lolwut

How can you enjoy the music?

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 33
Just to provide some background music.
smily_headphones1.gif
My main rig is Corda Opera with HD650. But I still listen at a low volumn though, between 7 to 10 clock at low gain.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 33
Usually I'm not home so I have portable

ipod video, E5 amp and ER6i on like 10% volume or so.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 33
On my PC, the volume is set to 2 (out of 100). On my smartphone/MP3 player, a Motorola q9c until the phone I want is released, if I have the master volume to max, I turn the MP3 volume to 5 (again out of 100). What I usually do though is turn the Master volume to 3 out of 5 and turn the MP3 volume up to 10/100.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Portable-

1. Sansa Fuze at about 65%
2. Westone 3

I listen to my Westone 3's out of my fuze at close to the minimum volume. Usually I listen at the 1st (very lowest) notch - 3rd notch. Sometimes I'll bring it up to 5 notches..but that's rare. I guess I am just lucky enough to be able to enjoy music at lower volumes. 65% with westone 3's through a fuze would be unbearable to my ears.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to my Westone 3's out of my fuze at close to the minimum volume. Usually I listen at the 1st (very lowest) notch - 3rd notch. Sometimes I'll bring it up to 5 notches..but that's rare. I guess I am just lucky enough to be able to enjoy music at lower volumes. 65% with westone 3's through a fuze would be unbearable to my ears.

wwwwhat? The easy rock music at the dentist is louder than that!

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 33
Haha yeah I guess I've just trained my ears over the past few years to listen to low levels. I really do get full enjoyment even at those volumes. My age might influence how my ears are able to find enjoyment at those volumes..I'm 18. Listening to low levels is a benefit for me in the long run, but there are a few drawbacks. When I try to listen out of my laptop rig (laptop -> 2move), I have to set the amp just before the point of channel imbalance (roughly 9 o'clock), and make sure that I have my winamp volume lowered to ~25-40%. It is a small hassle for me since I like to rotate between my d2000/w3/ksc75s regularly throughout the day. It's not a big enough hassle for me to change amps though because my 2move sounds great, and I figure I'd have the same problem with pretty much any amp since I'd be playing on such low levels.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 33
on my ipod nano 3g, i listened at 90%-80% volume when I had the Triple FI 10's. Those were fun to crank up.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Sennheiser IE8's that I have now.. are lower in volume..
not having as much fun with these as I did with the Triples, which also had deeper bass extension and Clearer High's that I prefer.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 33
in my car it things can get very loud (15" subwoofer + 1000 watts etc), but when using headphones i find i dont need anywhere near 'big' volume, im guessing its because my ears drums are so close to the driver?

with my yuin pk3 i can generally have a conversation with someone while listening to music, and hear 20,000-30hz (all the music) comfortably, not the same as the big sound in a car or night club, if i dont need to hear anything/talk to anyone my sennheiser hd280 pro isolate me completely, same kinda volume inside.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 33
Doesn't really make sense because of recording levels and headphones, my DX1000s i generally listen to at a setting only two thirds as high up the scale as my HD650s.
Now on my computer with dacmagic out to the Lisa three it is barely up at all say about 7:30 or 8 oclock all the way off is 7 oclock. Headphones are the DX1000s. With the HD650s i think it is about one third of the way up 10 o clock maybe. That also depends if it is live or studio.

Edit-Okay i got it you want all the info so it does make sense.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #14 of 33
Loud enough to where I enjoy it, not too loud that I can't hear myself snapping by my ear. Louder when I walk, quieter in school classroom, but never more than the snap test.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #15 of 33
Hmm, with my MX-W1's (FS, PM me for info
biggrin.gif
) when I'm listening to my iPod, I listen at around 25-30% and when I'm using my other (brandless or bundled ^^) earbuds I crank up the volume to about 55-70%

On my Q5W, when I'm listening to music, MXW1's will probably be about 12-15 notches (up to a max.40 volume) earbuds will be about 15-23 notches. When I'm watching movies with my MX-W1s will probably be 27-33 notches and earbuds will be FULL VOLUME!!
biggrin.gif
(Movie volume on the Q5W is pretty low for some reason
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back