What values for a warm, fun im716?
Apr 7, 2008 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bossnass15

100+ Head-Fier
Currently on a 39ohm kiwames resistor and its excellent for good recordings. However on most modern rock/pop/hip-hop tracks its too bright and its like a million needles in my ears. What values do you guys recommend for a warm, fun,non-fatiguing sound for those recordings? Thanks~

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 12
Different values won't take away the already amazing highs. If you have a lot of recordings which are poorly recorded, you might have to end up EQ'ing down certain frequencies or perhaps different IEMs/warmer source.

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different values won't take away the already amazing highs. If you have a lot of recordings which are poorly recorded, you might have to end up EQ'ing down certain frequencies or perhaps different IEMs/warmer source.

Different values do shape the frequency response. I'm going to try 22 ohms.

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different values do shape the frequency response. I'm going to try 22 ohms.

Good luck.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 12
Hint - Xin replicated Ety via jumper 72 ohms.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hint - Xin replicated Ety via jumper 72 ohms.

But simply adding 72 ohms didn't make them any less bright, or at least my ears didn't think so.

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 12
What is that pod doing anyway? The HD setting is too thin, the bass setting adds too much bass boost into the the lower mids. I want some more slam in the bass than the HD position gives you without mucking up the lower mids like the bass position does. Maybe it's more than just an inline resistor we need, but that just means a simple LCR circuit. which would still fit into a heatshrink bump.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 12
I did some testing from 22-102 ohms and posted here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/any...9/#post4078449

And more info here in a second post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/any...9/#post4079487

I wouldn't go below 22 ohm, but for the most part it really depends on what amp you are driving them with, as they seem to be more challenging to drive and the build of the amp makes a difference. I tried a variety of amps and posted about them.

One amp at 22 ohms has too much bass, but with another it might be fine. And with another amp 68 ohms may start to lose soundstage or dynamics, but another amp can run them at 102 ohms without losing bass. In general, 33-55 ohms is a good range for all my amps, and a few amps can do 69 ohms without a hitch and keep good bass.

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 12
PS: I did an hour or two listening with the IM716 after I posted above, and I think the 47 ohm is probably the best choice for the widest variety of music and amps. There are still times when the 33 ohm is not enough and the lower mids are too colored. (using Shure black foam tips and a good seal in the ear canal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back