what type of music first gave you goosebumps?
Dec 23, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #16 of 28
Anything by JW gives me goosebumps, especially when hearing it in a theater
smily_headphones1.gif

Tool has the same effect when I'm in a bad mood...

Dec 23, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #17 of 28
It took about three listens before something in me clicked, and I just "got" Of Montreal's, Cherry Peel. It's a very lo-fi recording, but it's so... pure.

Dec 24, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #18 of 28
first I just want to say that as a musician and a pretentious and over judgemental listener, I'm glad to say that it seems like you all have some good taste. It's good to know that you're not wasting your hi-fi apreciation on pure crap.

Simon and Garfunkel have always been a big part of my life, and since I was a little kid, I never thought I would see them live. THen they did a tour recently and I was there. I cried a little. It was one of the high points in my life as a music worshiper.

Depeche Mode can do it also. So can Portishead, and many others.

also, for those of you who said you are always looking for something new, I give you this link.... www.stonerrock.com Classic influence gives way to some of the best bands that are trying to create things off the beaten path without being outlandishly abstract (which I can aprecieate also). You may not like them all, but I'm willing to bet if you give it time, you'll find something you love in there.

Dec 24, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #19 of 28
the who: "sparks" (live version off of "kids are alright")
when townshend makes his guitar scream like king ghidora... first time goosebumps.

Dec 24, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #20 of 28
Charles Gounod - Ave Maria - a 78 rpm record heard at the home of some friends of my grandparents. It was a revelation to a kid whose family radio was permanently tuned to a country station.

BW

Dec 24, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #21 of 28
Yeah, probably some movie music I heard as a kid too.

Real music? I don't know. Probably that Clarinet Quintets CD I first got.

For real goosebump effect, Dream Theater really enthralled me when I first heard it a couple yeard ago.

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #24 of 28
First time I was truely overwhelmed by music was when I first heard Infected Mushroom. I think the track was Roll Us a Giant. Man that was insane at the time now that I look back on it. I remember how excited I was.....

Dec 25, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Don't know if that one gave me goosebumps, but it IS awesome. I especially like Bruce Johnstone's bari-sax solo. That said, I heard Maynard and his orchestra perform MacArthur Park live at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco in 1975, now THAT gave me goosebumps.

Oh man, how I envy you! I have only seen Maynard live once, which was in 1983. He still had chops but nothing like he did in the early/mid 70's. He is the man!

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back