What type of headphones do I need?
Oct 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lentini

New Head-Fier
I am looking for multi-purpose headphones for general listening as well as amateur music production (recording live instruments, vocals, and digital sound editing). I am being given $250-$300 specifically to buy a new set of headphones and am wondering what direction I should go in. I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones that I use for everything. Are these headphones sufficient to work with audio or will I see a significant advantage even on an amateur level in editing with another set of headphones in my price range?
I am a bit wary of open-back headphones because I will be working in environments with ambient sound most of the time. I also like a bit of a bass boost when I am listening to music and what I have doesn't really deliver in that area, but I don't want to compromise my mixes by using headphones that have a bass boost when I am editing. My last criteria is that I don't want something that has to be driven by an amp to achieve its full potential. I want something that I can plug into a phone and not lose any significant sound quality.
Should I just get a nice pair of closed-back head-phones for everyday use and continue to use the ones I have for music production?
Would I really be much better off with a set of open-back headphones and if so, should I go for something with the flattest sound possible or is there something bass boosted that could still work for me?
Is there something available that can meet all my criteria?

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Sounds like you need closed back headphones designed for monitoring.  The problem is, most are bass light, like the Beyerdynamic DT 660 which is easy to drive.  You can always use a parametric equalizer to boost the bass when listening to music, and disabling it when mixing.

AKG is another popular option (closed K series), but I'm not sure how badly they need an amp.  I've heard good things about the Audio Technica ATH-A1000X for mixing/monitoring (and a new version, the A1000Z is coming out soon), but it is said to really benefit from an amp.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 8
The AKG K550 or slightly warmer K553 would be great options. The K550 is very similar to a closed Q701 - which is a fantastic headphone for mastering (Q = Quincy Jones... detailed, analytical, neutral).

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 8
   I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones that I use for everything. Are these headphones sufficient to work with audio or will I see a significant advantage even on an amateur level in editing with another set of headphones in my price range?

7506 (practically the same as V6) is the most popular headphone used by professionals who work with audio.  For monitoring, anyway.  

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 8
If it helps, I will rank the closed studio monitor headphones I have owned, from most to least favorite:

Yamaha HPH-MT220
Focal Spirit Professional
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x
Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR-7506
NVX XPT100
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Sennheiser HD 280 PRO

They all have problems and you will need to use EQ if you want the most accurate frequency response.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 8
Sounds like you already have a work headphone(the v6). I would just get a headphone with actual bass response now. Having 2 different ones might be even better because then you can compare what casual listeners hear with what your flat headphones sound like. 

I'll second the MT220 suggestion. But it does have more of a bass bloom in comparison to what people consider flat studio headphones. M50X is good one too but that one has a slightly lowered treble and even deeper bass than MT220. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 8
  Sounds like you already have a work headphone(the v6). I would just get a headphone with actual bass response now. Having 2 different ones might be even better because then you can compare what casual listeners hear with what your flat headphones sound like. 

I'll second the MT220 suggestion. But it does have more of a bass bloom in comparison to what people consider flat studio headphones. M50X is good one too but that one has a slightly lowered treble and even deeper bass than MT220. 

For reference, for anyone who is interested, here are measurements of the M50x with compensation curves superimposed. For context, planar magnetic headphones follow the green line in the bass, showing how much extra bass the M50x has.

What I dislike about the M50x is how bloated and boomy the bass is. Makes it sound muddy. It lacks impact too. Not sure if I would say it reaches deeper; just has more quantity. The MT220 has less bass (but indeed still boosted somewhat), but much more bass impact, energy, and clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back