What Type of Audio to Get for this Use?
Jun 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iceshark

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I have basically no experience with audio quality for a few reasons. Let me just give you a run-down on what I have, what I need, what I was considering, and what uses I need this for:

First, I have the Creative I-Trigue 2200s, small laptop (but I also use them for my desktop) speakers that are I presume decent quality. I've had them for 4 years now and before that I've never bought speakers of any decent quality nor can I remember them very well.
Second, I have a pair of Sony MDR-NC22 noise-cancelling earphones, which I've had ever since October after my Skullcandy Lowriders broke. Before that I just used iPod earphones (we know how bad those things are....).
Third, my desktop is a high-end computer, not optimized for much but fast, and my laptop is about 50% higher performance, optimized for gaming. So I think if theres any support issues I believe they can both handle it.

I want a gaming headset, with at least 5.1 surround sound (I have been looking at the Razer Megalodon with 7.1 because of its USB use, which I need for my desktop since it has no microphone in option. Otherwise I would have to find an adapter, which I am worried would ruin the sound quality. I would also like a headset that produced good music feedback. I know I can't get the best of both worlds, something for gaming and music use, unless I just get headphones. I could get a separate mic, but I'd prefer a headset. If I got one for gaming and music, I'd need something durable because I'm on the go a lot and my pretty durable, small headphones (the lowriders) snapped, and I don't want to waist any sort of money if that happens. Otherwise, I was looking for a good speaker system that had some good quality to it. Problem is speakers tend to be more expensive and I need to wear headphones/headsets while I game.

But the most likely option I was considering was getting a pair of USB gaming headsets (MUST be USB) and either keeping my earphones or looking for good music headphones/earphones. But I would like to hear your opinions on how my earphones do quality wise, and if I should bother upgrading them or not.

My budget is around $100, so I'm limited, maybe +$30. I'd prefer $50 to $75, if you can.

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Bump again...

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 4
You would probably be better off asking this question in a PC gaming forum. From the threads i've come across, 5.1 headphones are looked down upon by many. Furthermore, your usb requirement rather limits the opinions we can give you since most headphones discussed here use 1/4" or 1/8" jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back