What to upgrade for my computer audio?
Jun 7, 2009 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nate911

100+ Head-Fier
List of Recommendations so far...

I would like to upgrade my computer audio system...
I have ATH-AD700 headphones and an X-Fi Extremegamer sound card. What would the next step for an upgrade? Soundcard, amp, DAC, or better headphones? (I'm not worried about speakers now.) My budget is a couple hundred by the way.

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd get an amp first and a DAC second. Budget?

It's in the first post
smile.gif

What benefits would each give me? Compared to buying better headphones...

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 25
DAC and amp? Easy. Find a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver that accepts optical input and supports synthesized 3D for headphones.

I went that route, and though it exposed my sound card for the weak POS it is, using that to run headphones has been a major boost to SQ.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC and amp? Easy. Find a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver that accepts optical input and supports synthesized 3D for headphones.

I went that route, and though it exposed my sound card for the weak POS it is, using that to run headphones has been a major boost to SQ.

Couldn't I just use my sound card's optical out for a DAC/amp? Remember my budget is a few hundred so I probably can't get a DAC and amp.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 25
For a few hundred you might take a look at the E-MU 0404 USB or the Asus Xonar Essence STX. Both are popular and have decent DAC's and headphone amps. Either one would be a big improvement.

I don't know if you'll find a better DAC than these for $200, so consider it a bonus that they have headphone amps and if you find the amps insufficient you can always upgrade later.

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 25
I have 2 budget DAC/amp combos (0404 USB, TC7520) and they are both good, Beresford being better in the headoutput but EMU offers more if you will also use speakers with it.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a few hundred you might take a look at the E-MU 0404 USB or the Asus Xonar Essence STX. Both are popular and have decent DAC's and headphone amps. Either one would be a big improvement.

I don't know if you'll find a better DAC than these for $200, so consider it a bonus that they have headphone amps and if you find the amps insufficient you can always upgrade later.

Yeah, I was looking at the STX too (I have a x-fi xtremegamer currently), but I don't know how that would compare to a standalone amp or DAC, being inside the computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 2 budget DAC/amp combos (0404 USB, TC7520) and they are both good, Beresford being better in the headoutput but EMU offers more if you will also use speakers with it.

I have Klipsch Promedia 2.1s hooked up also.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I was looking at the STX too (I have a x-fi xtremegamer currently), but I don't know how that would compare to a standalone amp or DAC, being inside the computer.

Really, as a DAC/headphone amp combo, it cannot be beaten for the price.
This includes external DAC + headphone amp combos.

That said, the internal headphone amp (or any headphone amp) is overkill for the AD700 as it doesn't benefit much amped at all.
I have AD700's for gaming and I (on the low gain) have the volume below 10 (out of 100).
The Essence STX as a DAC/soundcard alone is still quite good indeed.
The Essence STX only has 2.0 lineout though unless you go via S/PDIF.

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, as a DAC/headphone amp combo, it cannot be beaten for the price.
This includes external DAC + headphone amp combos.

That said, the internal headphone amp (or any headphone amp) is overkill for the AD700 as it doesn't benefit much amped at all.
I have AD700's for gaming and I (on the low gain) have the volume below 10 (out of 100).
The Essence STX as a DAC/soundcard alone is still quite good indeed.
The Essence STX only has 2.0 lineout though unless you go via S/PDIF.

So how does the STX compare to the E-MU 0404 USB, the Beserford, or any others in the price range?

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 25
Seeing as the Promedias aren't balanced i would go with the Beresford as it can drive 595s easier than the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back