What to think about with vinyl
Dec 8, 2008 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jegarn

100+ Head-Fier
Last night my dad took out one of his old LPs since I had asked for the sound difference. I've stated to get the idea to make a collection of LPs. Vinyl just gives me a nice feeling of how it was back in the old days (before I was born..). Just chilling and listening to great music, letting the music fill you up. I've got this image from movies and old pictures that has gone yellow. The procedure of playing a LP feels like its a ceremony of a kind compared to do a few clicks on the computer and put on some music.

To the point.
I liked the vinyl. Warmer sound but not as clean, fits the picture in my mind perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm thinking of buying some classic old mainly rock LPs.
What is the difference between 180g and 200g, different recordings, is Japanese recordings better, what should I lock out for if buying used, why does some cost like 10 times as much as other when it's the same album?

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 17
180 and 200 refer to the weight of the vinyl (or is it the density?!): some people think the heavier the better, although 200gsm is falling out of favour in some places.

Classic old rock lps are more likely to be on 120 in any case, and not necessarily the worse for it. You need a fairly decent set-up to hear the differences between various sorts of vinyl.

Japanese vinyl (the actual plastic) has a high reputation because they tended to use fresh stuff, rather that recycled. However, these days most people use fresh stuff on audiophile records.

I've never been able to tell the condition of a record from looking at it, although I'm sure some can. One trick is to look at the area around the hole: if that shows signs of heavy wear and sctching, avoid. Badly set up decks can play havoc with the last track on a record but you'll generally have to play it to hear it.

What to look out for? A record shop, with an actual door and a geeky person behind the counter who likes music and knows arcane things about the cymbals on Mick Karnes single "Sensitive". With any luck you'll be able to play stuff there and if you get a record that's in bad nick you can take it back.

If you buy records on ebay there's really only one trick: if it's described as "mint condition" that means it's shockingly scratched, but just about in one piece. If it's described as "A++++++" that means it's shockingly scratched, but just about in one piece. If it's described as "shockingly scratched, but just about in one piece" it's probably me selling it and it'll be fine.

Seriously, though, try and buy your vinyl face to face, or at the very least over the phone.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 17
From Gramophone record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The sound quality and durability of vinyl records is highly dependent on the quality of the vinyl. During the early 1970s, as a cost-cutting move towards use of lightweight, flexible vinyl pressings, much of the industry adopted a technique of reducing the thickness and quality of vinyl used in mass-market manufacturing, marketed by RCA Victor as the "Dynaflex" (125 g) process, considered inferior by most record collectors.[27] Most vinyl records are pressed on recycled vinyl.

New "virgin" or "heavy" (180–220 g) vinyl is commonly used for modern "audiophile" vinyl releases in all genres. Many collectors prefer to have 180 g vinyl albums, and they have been reported to have a better sound than normal vinyl. These albums tend to withstand the deformation caused by normal play better than regular vinyl[citation needed]. 180 g vinyl is more expensive to produce and requires higher-quality manufacturing processes than regular vinyl.

Since most vinyl records are from recycled plastic, impurities can be accumulated in the record, causing a brand new album to have audio artifacts like clicks and pops. Virgin vinyl means that the album is not from recycled plastic, and will theoretically be devoid of these impurities. In practice, this depends on the manufacturer's quality control.

---------------------------------------------------------
I think some may disagree with the idea that vinyl sounds warmer but not as clean (unless by clean you mean sterile) - this is often the case, but it depends on the player, phono stage, many aspects of vinyl quality, and cleanliness of the record. My vinyl setup blows my digital setup out of the water in both warmth and cleanliness. When I get a good record cleaner, it will be even better.

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 17
I ignore most of the stuff about weight, where it's from, etc. There are differences, for sure, but the real magic is going through dusty boxes in the back of a store and finding something you never knew you'd love. For like 25 cents.

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 17
I have never listened to vinyl but I would love to. I need to find me a cheap but good player first. I don't have a Hi-Fi store anywhere near me but I lucky enough to have a music store that keeps hundreds of records on the shelves. I know this is a wide open question, but what should one expect to pay for new/used vinyl? Not the rare stuff but the average record.

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 17
I remember I had Bowie's original RCA UK pressing of 'The Man Who Sold The World' on Dynaflex. It was fun to make it flex and sounded fine on my five quid pawn shop record player that I had to put a penny on the head of the needle arm to stop it bouncing on some slightly warped records.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never listened to vinyl but I would love to. I need to find me a cheap but good player first. I don't have a Hi-Fi store anywhere near me but I lucky enough to have a music store that keeps hundreds of records on the shelves. I know this is a wide open question, but what should one expect to pay for new/used vinyl? Not the rare stuff but the average record.

You don't need a hi-fi shop to buy a turntable. First, ask your friends and family if they have an old one out in the garage. Also go to garage sales, thrift stores, junk shops, and even some antique malls will have them. Most turntables can be brought back to life with minor service, maintenance and a new stylus. I'd advise buying locally since shipping them can be a pain. Once you find a deck, post about it with your budget and within a few hours, you'll get all the information and links you need to get it running.

As for used vinyl, I pick them up anywhere from a quarter to about $8 at a nice used record store. Most of the time I'll grab them at junk shops, etc. for $0.25-$1 each. A new sleeve is about $0.10 and I spend about five minutes washing the record in the sink.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 17
What is the difference between different recordings of the same album?
How do I tell which ones that are the good ones?

Have a old grundig ps 2600 turntable. Is it worth changing the needle thing and to what then?

Going to see if I can find some LPs tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Went out to a couple second hand stores looking for a player but no luck. Might try a few pawnshops in a nearby city tomorrow. Still have no idea what to look for but I guess my first one can be a cheapy and I can upgrade from there if vinyl works for me. Damn this place and it's effect on my wallet.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jegarn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the difference between different recordings of the same album?
How do I tell which ones that are the good ones?

Have a old grundig ps 2600 turntable. Is it worth changing the needle thing and to what then?

Going to see if I can find some LPs tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're really into an artist or album, do your homework with fan sites to find the best versions and recordings. I'm not picky otherwise; if an album is interesting and in good condition, I buy it.

You can find a stylus for your deck at OnlineShop für Plattenspielerzubehör: Plattenspielernadel, Ersatznadel, Ersatzriemen und Tonabnehmer for 36 Euro. I don't know if your deck needs a special type, but the Grado Black comes in both regular and P-mount. That's a great inexpensive cartridge, as is the Shure MX97E. You should also replace the belt and change the bearing oil. Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic (the same stuff you put in a car) is great. Make sure the deck is level and set up the arm and counterweight according to the manual. Go for it - you won't get a cheaper entry and you'll learn a lot. Should sound good, too!

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jegarn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warmer sound but not as clean, fits the picture in my mind perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

It's good that you had a good first experience with vinyl. Just keep in mind that with a good turntable, cartridge, and phono stage, the sound can be just as clean or maybe even cleaner in some instances than the cd (depending on how well each was mastered).

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 17
In regards to different versions, you must keep in mind which pressing you are buying or looking at. First pressing sound better. well, not necessarily better but more true to the original sound of the master recording. what happens is that the master tape the a band records onto in the studio degrades the second it is created due to the earth's magnetic field messing up the magnetizing on the tape. So if they go back to the same tape and make another vinyl pressing off of it 4 years later, there is noticeable corrosion. whether or not your ear can hear it with the current record player and equipment you are using is another story....

so, for collectors and true purists, 1st pressings are more sought after. Later pressings are worth less.
Worth even less is a reissue where the master tapes have been re-recorded from and re-mastered. This is all together completely different.

Japanese pressings are better. they are done using better equipment and are more high quality. Japanese have always spent more than Americans and in some cases German pressings because they just care about quality more and not a cheap product that will result in huge sales.

Vinyl can be found much cheaper than CDs and if you prefer the sound, then this is good for you. I wouldnt be too cautious buying vinyl on eBay. I have and have had good success. Also, there are certain rare bands that never made it to CD and vinyl is key here.

Hope this helps. Happy listening!
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're really into an artist or album, do your homework with fan sites to find the best versions and recordings. I'm not picky otherwise; if an album is interesting and in good condition, I buy it.

You can find a stylus for your deck at OnlineShop für Plattenspielerzubehör: Plattenspielernadel, Ersatznadel, Ersatzriemen und Tonabnehmer for 36 Euro. I don't know if your deck needs a special type, but the Grado Black comes in both regular and P-mount. That's a great inexpensive cartridge, as is the Shure MX97E. You should also replace the belt and change the bearing oil. Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic (the same stuff you put in a car) is great. Make sure the deck is level and set up the arm and counterweight according to the manual. Go for it - you won't get a cheaper entry and you'll learn a lot. Should sound good, too!

Do I need the manual
redface.gif
I believe that it's goon.

How big of a difference will there be? Will use it with my home theater system for the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back