What to have, PK1 or IM716?
Oct 26, 2007 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, I have had the senn PX100 for a long time. I did the form replacement pod by Lisa and did enjoy them for a while. But it's come to me that the lack of details and (still) overblown bass are finally getting me restless again with my credit card
tongue.gif

Over a long time of research, I have basically come down to two choices:

PK1 and IM716.

The buds can be had for $139 plus s&h, and the IEM for $87 with free shipping plus tax. Now I am willing to put up with the difference in price, but here are few things that I cannot decide:

I will be using them out of my iRiver H120. I know that they both "require" amp, but I really don't like the idea of extra bulk with me, as the H120 itself is pretty bulky already. How much do they compare unamped? In other words, which ones are more amp dependent?

From all the impressions I gather that the PK1 are like mini HD580s, with tone leaning towards warmth and musicality, while the im716s are more like ER4-S(which I've never heard) that sound more on the clear and analytical side. Are these correct assertions about their respective SQ? I personally like more "musical" sound, but are the im716s too lean and cold?

lastly, I am not too critical about sound isolation.

Thanks for reading (or not) through my long babbling. Any input will be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be using them out of my iRiver H120. I know that they both "require" amp, but I really don't like the idea of extra bulk with me, as the H120 itself is pretty bulky already. How much do they compare unamped? In other words, which ones are more amp dependent?

I think PK1 is more amp dependent. Measuring from a simple multimeter, PK1 is about twice as much resistance/impedance as iM716 (HD mode). You can select Bass mode on iM716, which will cut down another ~30ohms to around 40ohms, making it much easier too drive (and warmer sound). A lot of users dislike the selection mode (especially the Bass mode), but I kind of enjoy the choice of EQing the sound based on my mood.

Anyway, PK1 can be driven unamped, but it sounds very dull to my ear when doing so (even though it is still above most other earbud's SQ). iM716 sounds 'ok' to me unamped, but sounds great when amped (well, so is PK1)..
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all the impressions I gather that the PK1 are like mini HD580s, with tone leaning towards warmth and musicality, while the im716s are more like ER4-S(which I've never heard) that sound more on the clear and analytical side. Are these correct assertions about their respective SQ? I personally like more "musical" sound, but are the im716s too lean and cold?

Here is my 10 minutes quick A/B:
Unamped:
iM716 Bass mode kind of makes it sounds like PK1, but not as warm and full sounding. iM716 HD mode is quite cold, basically very weak bass. I prefer iM716 in Bass mode to other two (PK1 and HD mode).

Amped (XM3 with AD8620):
iM716 HD mode gives a very Etymotic sound - lean and tight bass - you will like it if you are an Etymotic fans. Bass mode adds a lot of bass, however it does make the mid/low a tiny bit more muddier. When amped, PK1's larger soundstage is very apparent compare to iM716 (in-your-head). It is still a very warm presentation, a whole lot like how a Senn. will sound. PK1 is definitely more musical than iM716, but not as detail (Ety's specialty) nor as punchy on the bass (probably due to iM716's isolation vs. PK1 open design). I don't like iM716 Bass mode when amped, but I can't really say whether I like PK1 or HD mode better - well I own both, so no hard choice for me here.
If I have to make a choice, I think I will choose iM716 (due to environmental factor, not SQ).

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for taking the time to reply! This is the nudge I need to order the im716 now
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 5
It's not just about SQ, it's also about comfort so if you take that into account PK1s are so comfortable they almost disapppear which is not what I'd ever say about IM716s. I auditioned IM716s but soon returned them because they didn't sound much better than IM616s and were just as uncomfortable. IMO the only reason to use IEMs is because you need the isolation. Given similar SQ but different levels of comfort, I invariably listen to the more comfortable phones.

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Excellent point. I use Atrios when I need complete sound iso, but in every other case, I choose the PK1s or PK3s. They are amazingly comfy in my view. But I have seen where others find ear buds painful. I think the Yuins are a bit smaller than other buds, and therefore fit more cleanly and comfortably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back