What to get, PSB M4U 1 vs. the Bowers and Wilkins P7?
Aug 9, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #31 of 52
I've returned a few headphones to Amazon. Yes. If you keep the headphones mint and don't destroy the retail packaging, you can return them. You pay return shipping costs (at their prices, which is good). They issue a pre-paid label in the RMA process and subtract the cost off your credit. I just put no longer wanted or needed as the reason, and they take them back. They don't go through some lengthy approval process. It happens instantaneously. You can do the whole RMA process in a couple of minutes.

This applies to Amazon and Fulfilled by Amazon. For 3rd party vendors who do their own shipping, you have to consult their policies.

Is it easy to keep their retail packaging intact, for most headphones you've gotten?

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #32 of 52
Yes. If you don't rip into it like a kid at Xmas. :)

And the HP150 packaging is REALLY easy since the packaging is actually just their case, not a bunch of cardboard, inside a single box. Some other headphone packaging can be a challenge to put back together unless you take pictures as you take it out.

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #34 of 52
Ok, another update.

I used the "find a dealer" on PSB's website, to see if some dealers carried the headphones.  However, when I called those actual stores, one of them said they stopped carrying home audio, it wasn't generating enough revenue.

If I were to travel to demo the B&W P7, but not be able to demo the others, I don't think it would be fair.

I also contacted Amazon.com's customer support, and they confirmed what cel4145 said about their return policy.

So, I decided to purchase all 3 of B&W P7; SoundMagic HP 150; and PSB M4U 1.  I'll keep whatever I like the best.  And this way, I can compare them in exactly the same conditions I'd use my headphones, with the same music.

I could save at least $20 on the P7 if I bought it elsewhere, but oh well, I think I have to do the comparison.

And I'll lose some money (maybe $7 per returned headphone) on return shipping.

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #37 of 52
I still have one outstanding question from the past 3 weeks.

I've read that these high quality headphones make poor audio sound worse.

What's going to happen when I listen to my portable radio?  I have a Tecsun PL 600 btw.

http://www.kaitousa.com/PL600.htm

Will these headphones make the radio sound any worse than the Sony MDR-V6 did?  Or will it be similar?

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #39 of 52
now that there is gonna be a shootout...

i am venturing a guess...that the op will end up with the BOWERs. :p

why, cos when he holds it in his hands, that quality leather n feel is gonna smite him real gooooood.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #40 of 52
  now that there is gonna be a shootout...

i am venturing a guess...that the op will end up with the BOWERs. :p

why, cos when he holds it in his hands, that quality leather n feel is gonna smite him real gooooood.
tongue_smile.gif

:)

I looked at your profile, and noticed you didn't list the PSB on there?  Did you not end up keeping it?  Your earlier post said you preferred the PSBs to the Bowers.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #41 of 52
didnt buy any of these two cans...but bought a 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #42 of 52
  didnt buy any of these two cans...but bought a 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged

What did you like about the Yamaha one more than those two?

And in general, do you think some closed headphones can sound similar to open ones?

Are there cases where someone prefers the sound of a good closed one to a good open one?

I'm just thinking about how you got an open one, and how one of the other headphones cel4145 has is an open one.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #43 of 52
i bought the yammy just reading the thread :p ( i fancy having a "studio recording" type of can in my stable )
But once i have it in my hands, realised it has a tall embracing airy sound..and imaging of live performances is really good.
It is even more neutral with velor pads..vs the stock pleather pads. 

Generally i like/prefer closed cans...i like the controlled ambience..without external disturbance.
Closed cans doesnt mean the soundstage is small...it can be huge...enough....eg a denon D7000
Too big a soundstage like a hd800 can lose some intimacy esp on vocals.

For open cans...i love the LCD2... it is an amazing can...each time i put it on i am HAPPY 

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #44 of 52
  i bought the yammy just reading the thread :p ( i fancy having a "studio recording" type of can in my stable )
But once i have it in my hands, realised it has a tall embracing airy sound..and imaging of live performances is really good.
It is even more neutral with velor pads..vs the stock pleather pads. 

Generally i like/prefer closed cans...i like the controlled ambience..without external disturbance.
Closed cans doesnt mean the soundstage is small...it can be huge...enough....eg a denon D7000
Too big a soundstage like a hd800 can lose some intimacy esp on vocals.

For open cans...i love the LCD2... it is an amazing can...each time i put it on i am HAPPY 

What kind of a setup do you have when you listen to music?

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #45 of 52
cel4145, where does the HP 150 rank among your headphones, and does it make the top 3?

Yes. It is in the top 3. Rating beyond that is difficult because each headphone has it's own character. For example, comparing the HE-400 to the HP150 would be like comparing pizza and cake :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back