What To Do?
Apr 21, 2004 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a long story, but I'll try to summarize it. I sold an MDR-V6 + Beyer pads to a member on this forum, a deal which began on the first of March with a PM to me regarding my FS post. All was going well, so when I received an e-check notification from PayPal for $90 I went ahead and sent the 'phones off to their new home. However, within several days I receive a new message from PayPal saying the e-check was cancelled! At first he blamed it on PayPal, and then used other excuses. It has now been nearly 2 months since I have sent the headphones and still no reciprocation. It is quite clear that this member never intends to pay me and he has been inactive since the 10th of this month (and the last PM I received from him was on the 25th of March, and it pretty much said I have no recourse to counter his actions). I am very frustrated and saddened, as I am really tight on money this month and the $90 would really help with my car insurance payment. I apologize if this post is too forward or revealing, but I need some advice ASAP. Does anyone in Canada know where this address is?

Thompson, Manitoba R8N 0E3
Canada

I will not post his real name or member name without the consent of the moderators. I don't want him banned or his reputation marred - I simply want the money for the product I sold him.
mad.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 11
that sucks. wish i had some better advice. but not really. all i can say is that's not cool at all what happened.

(don't know if i'd list his exact address though. maybe just his street and city.)

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 11
1st of all, did you buy insurance and delivery confirmation when you ship this to the guy (Assuming you used USPS)? Even if you bought the confirmation, you can report this to the authorities. Print out all the email and PMs you had w/ this individual, also print out the PayPal transactions. If he received the cans and is ignoring you, report it as fraud to your local authorities. Some times you just can't be nice to a-holes. There are tons of people on ebay that runs frauds for a living. Have you PMed the mods or admins on what actions to take?

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Like Goose says, that sucks. Bad.

For what it's worth, I entered the address information you posted into the Yahoo Maps and Driving Instructions site, and it gave me a map.

Here

Not sure what you can do with the information, but I hope it's of some use.

Please believe that incidents like this are very much the exception among the Head-Fi community. It's just too bad that some people have to abuse the site.

BW

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 11
Yeah, I have to agree. Manitoba is in the middle of nowhere. There may be some Winnipeg head-fi'ers that can help. Admittedly, my Manitoba geography is not the best, but I know Winnipeg is the major city centre. I'm quite embarrassed that this occurred. Although there are many Canadian head-fi'ers I almost feel personally shamed. Thankfully I have not had any bad dealings. I guess we have to remember that the vast majority of head-fi'ers are honest, and good people. It's really unfortunate that some feel the need to mar the assumed reputation of all. I do hope you're able to resolve this issue. As for the money bit, been there many times. Hopefully you're able to borrow from family or friends.

Trevor

Apr 22, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 11
Thompson, Manitoba. Interesting. I know a fair number of people who were born/raised in Thompson, but moved away when they reached the age of majority. Anybody who didn't would end up working for Inco Metals, the RCMP, or the Department of Highways. Not much else to do there.

As for having his reputation marred... Unless there are some extraordinary circumstances involved, I would say that he has acted rather shabbily. If he doesn't settle up with you, then he deserves to have his reputation marred.

D.

Apr 22, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 11
I thank you members for the kind words and helpful support. I just received the OK from Jude to post the member's name: newbie1 (real name is Rahman Karim). It seems he had 1 positive sale prior to my dealings with him; perhaps that should have thrown me off, but I have an inherent trust in the Head-Fi family and he seemed like a stand-up guy. Thanks again for all the kind words and advice - I don't expect to see the money any time soon, but sharing my experience is therapeutic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 11
hey Neil, that is way to freakin bad man,

but 90 bucks isn't so bad compared to others who get really burned.

i almost lost 195 dollars, but i harassed the kid (literally a kid) and threatened legal action, needless to say, i got my money back.

maybe something like that is in order? if you can prove that there was a lawful transaction you could probably threaten to press charges, dont know if it's worth it to you

cheers anyways, karma will be knockin on his door anytime soon now.

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Bad news...This is not on. If there is a member doing this kinda thing then naming and shaming them would prevent others falling too. Maybe u should contact the moderators? I.P. address...etc. This can be invaluable information for the police. Also keep a note of transfer records. Get this git sent down or at least kicked off this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back