What to Do, What to do? Zen 20gig cheaper than iPod Nano!
Sep 29, 2005 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Vault

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to get some people's thoughts on a product comparison. I live in Singapore so prices for Creative gear is always a little cheaper but this is what I'm faced with:

iPod Nano: Looks gorgeous, is small (I travel a lot so this is important) and around SG$436 for a spanky new black 4gig.

Creative Zen: Looks.. hmm jury out on that, is a lit thicker so not as pocketable, BUT is only SG$371 for a whopping 20gig.

(Both prices are from Bluetin).

I wanted to get some feedback from the gurus, especially if you've had expreience with the Zen. I could really do with the extra storage, but if I had to list what I'm looking for I would rate the following in order of importance:

1. Sound
2. Battery life
3. File management - I'm familiar with iTunes - what's Creative's like?
4. Portability

I know I don't need 20gig for my flights, but it would save room on the laptop and require less syncing.

Ta!
etysmile.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 14
I would just go for the nano because of the flash. I have regretted buying a hard drive player since i got my zen micro. The flash is just so much more durable and lasts so much longer.

edit: I dont mind the creative software but i have no comparison because the only other program i have used is sonicstage(HORRIBLE).

Sep 30, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEp
I would just go for the nano because of the flash.

Thanks MIKEp. I have a bit of a quality issue with Creative. I know the Micro had a lot of issues around the headphone jack. I'm more familiar with flash players so your advice is appreciated. I think I can be a bit rough at times with my gear.

Sep 30, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 14
i liked the software and actually hardware of my zen. i also like the frequent option of user-changable battery.

but if you want to run with the player that is no place for a hdd.

Sep 30, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 14
The Creative software isn't as bad as its made out to be. It works well, is fast and does everything you need with ease.

If you need the capacity, get the Zen. If you want something small, get the Nano. But you said you're a big rough with your gear so you'll need to be careful with the Nano
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
But you said you're a big rough with your gear so you'll need to be careful with the Nano
smily_headphones1.gif

This is part of the problem. I was hoping the Nano would be bullet proof and steer me in the flash direction rather than a HD based player. Seems like it's fragile one way or another.

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 14
how about all the stories of cracked lcds and scratches if you look at it crosseyed? For toughness I'd stay away from the nano.

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 14
No contradiction. The nano's curcuitry and flash memory can stand up to forces that will kill a hard drive player ... It's screen, however, is thin. Very thin. And scratchable.

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 14
Easy, the Zen. No way I'd sacrifice that much capacity for more $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back