What to do? My HD600s are very uncomfortable
Jun 28, 2004 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MrDetermination

Head-Fier
I've had them for a couple weeks now and they've gotten a little better, but they're still hurting. Actually, I have the following complaints:

1) The band eats in to the top of my head after an hour or two. Doesn't matter what I do as far as giving the band slack or stretching it over the top of my computer tower. The padding pushes down in to my skull.

2) Again, regaurdless of the stretching, they still press in on my head a little hard from the sides. With stretching this improves the most, but I fear this will never go away.

3) All that causes fatigue. I don't fatigue, ever, when wearing or listening to the 590s. The 590s have a wider top, and a flat pad. I'd love to mount the 600 drivers in the 590 cans and see if I still fatigued, but thats a little beyond my comfort level. I may be fatiguing because of the sound itself, but it may just be my brain trying to get my ears some relief by making my ears ask for them to be taken off too.

4) Because of the tightness of the 600s on my ears, and the roundness of the pads (vs the more pointy bottoms of the 590s), I am breaking out in the groove below my earlobe at the back of my jawbone. Its like the pad is just holding the oils right there on my skin. Worse on one side of my face than the other.

I may be stuck listening to an album with the 600s in the living room every now and again, and going back to the 590s for generic computer listening (music while working on apps or game sounds). Or maybe I should sell them and try something else? Or maybe there are others who have been down this road and found modifications helpful. I know I'm a rare bird here. You usually read about how comfortable these cans are.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for any help.

Jun 28, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 6
You're not alone, I had comfort issues with my HD600s from the moment I got them. For some reason, I find my HD580s significantly more comfortable.

Jun 28, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Your head is probably shaped in such a way that the HD600s just aren't going to work for you. why not try some grados, Audio-technicas or maybe even some K1000s(which dont youch your ears at all) ?

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Some people just don't like the way headphones feel, personally I feel the HD600 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn, but when I first got it I wasn't aclimated to listening to headphones and it was somewhat annoying. You may be going through this stage MrDetermination, albeit to a higher degree than most of us.

Also I just have to ask just in case, you do know the headphones expand right? You can pull the parts that cover your ear away from the band and it gets larger.

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 6
wow, i never new some people had comfort issues with the hd600. you might want to try the hd580, the clamp is not as strong and sounds just as good. otherwise, you can try the hd595 which people have claimto be the comfiest senns.

if those doesn't work out, maybe get the grados with comfies. you can adjust the pressure so that it's close to nonexistent. i wouldn't be surprised if the grados comfort is for you.

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 6
MrDetermination,

Indeed, those cans aren't the most comfortable on Earth. I've had comfort issues with the HD 580s from the beginning. It just clamped too hard around my jaw. Now, after 11 months worth of daily use, my HD 580s have loosened up a bit and feel more comfortable.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back