What to do??? Interested in a Portable Amp, but not sure which one?!
Feb 25, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so basically, without a line out, a portable amp is not that useful unless u want to get rid of the static... for 200$.

for iems i guess, but for full sized headphones, the sound will get better imo.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait? i dont need an amp at all for portable use? hmm... but then im afraid that when i get my customs (or use higher end iems) they will give a lot of hissing.

Ive used my SF3 and i have to use the attenuator (which causes it to have a lack of volume) because there are hissing / static.

Hi TSi, my bad, I had meant that you don't require a DAC for portable use. An amp is darn useful, as most DAPs don't have enough sufficient output to drive certain IEMs and larger headphones. Even the D2, while powerful, starts to get somewhat noise and distorted in higher volumes, if an amp isn't used. But like I said, after adding the Tomahawk amp, all was well.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi TSi, my bad, I had meant that you don't require a DAC for portable use. An amp is darn useful, as most DAPs don't have enough sufficient output to drive certain IEMs and larger headphones. Even the D2, while powerful, starts to get somewhat noise and distorted in higher volumes, if an amp isn't used. But like I said, after adding the Tomahawk amp, all was well.

oh okay, i get what u mean. Right now I'm looking at the D2 as a DAC/AMP for my macbook and an AMP for my portable use.

For 200$, would there be another combined dac/amp that would be better?

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #20 of 25
Not really sure how the HeadRoom Bithead stacks up here but I certainly found it useful as a portable. USB DAC and line in inputs. Two headphone outs too. Crossfeed, and high/low gain switch, for compatibility with most headphones. $150

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really sure how the HeadRoom Bithead stacks up here but I certainly found it useful as a portable. USB DAC and line in inputs. Two headphone outs too. Crossfeed, and high/low gain switch, for compatibility with most headphones. $150

thanks for comment!

i personally dont like the "looks" on the bithead (it looks really toyish and cheapy) but hey, u get what you pay for =P

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought a Leckerton UHA-3 amp/DAC. Worth a look. Nice and small, light weight, silver or black, USB for my MacBook, line in for my LODed iPod. []http://www.leckertonaudio.com/purchase.html] I'm still deciding which of my phones I like it most with. Read the big review mentioned above.

Mooch

hmm, i tried pressing the url, but it doesnt seem to work.

EDIT: nvm, i googled it. looks interesting, and it looks really small, time to find some reviews!

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought a Leckerton UHA-3 amp/DAC. Worth a look. Nice and small, light weight, silver or black, USB for my MacBook, line in for my LODed iPod. [Leckerton Audio - Purchase] I'm still deciding which of my phones I like it most with. Read the big review mentioned above.

Mooch

fix'd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back